Blender 4.2 - EEVEE-Next Feedback

I know. My point was that maxed out UE5 with raytracing on a card that doesn’t even have rt cores works way better than EEVEE-Next with its limited screen space effects. It should be the other way around. In other words, there is something very very wrong with the EEVEE-Next right now.

2 Likes

I never expect EEVEE NEXT to be as fast as game engines like Unreal 5,
but I really hope EEVEE supports all possible SHADER NODEs as much as CYCLES does.

Discussion about HWRT or that a racecar is faster than a SUV isn’t useful in this thread. Blender is CPU bound as that provides the flexibility that is expected. We are aware that users have different performance expectation and compare us to fancy racecars. (We see that as a compliment!).

We have a good insight where the performance bottlenecks are and improvements are done continuously. Adding a faster or slower GPU algorithm isn’t a deal breaker as the main bottlenecks aren’t inside the rendering pipeline but on the components EEVEE depends on or on the data transfers.

15 Likes

huge drop in animation performance since bigging of march builds in both eevee classic and eevee next.
I only have feb 28th and march 10th builds of 4.2 since i download new verion aprox. every 10 to 20 days. so i cannot pinpoint exact version

@Ulf3000

That sounds like an issue. Can you report a bug, so we can start an investigation. You can report a bug by pressing “Report a Bug” in the Help menu of Blender.

1 Like

Today build, even with just a Sun lamp on scene, no shadows to be seen anywhere… where did they went :laughing:

2 Likes

Couldn’t edit the above post…
So after a few more trials I see that although on the file from work I don’t have any shadows indeed, if I start on a clean file Shadows do seem to be work just perfect:

What’s going on!?
I did started the other on Eevee Legacy on 4.1.

2 Likes

I just changed the Pool Size from 512Mb to 1 Gb and then reverted it again to 512Mb and the shadows appeared :smiley: and are working apparently fine. Need to test in motion…

Edit: No dice at render time :confused: They vanish again.

2 Likes

Do you have a Nvidia card by any chance? Seems like there is some non-deterministic behavior which makes the shadows all flickering.

We still have to find a consistent way to reproduce the artifact, but it is on our radar.

3 Likes

My workstation is a:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060 12Gb ram
RAM: 64Gb DDR-4

My full system info

System:
Kernel: 6.5.0-26-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: Cinnamon 6.0.4 tk: GTK 3.24.33
wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy

Machine:
Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: N/A v: N/A serial:
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) v: Rev X.0x serial:
UEFI: American Megatrends v: 3404 date: 10/07/2023

Battery:
Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech Wireless Mouse MX Master 3 serial:
charge: 55% (should be ignored) status: Discharging
Device-2: wacom_battery_0 model: Wacom Intuos Pro L serial: N/A charge: 100%

CPU:
Info: 8-core model: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 3 rev: 0 cache:
L1: 512 KiB L2: 4 MiB L3: 32 MiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 2200 min/max: 2200/5361 boost: disabled cores: 1: 2200 2: 2200 3: 2200
4: 2200 5: 2200 6: 2200 7: 2200 8: 2200 9: 2200 10: 2200 11: 2200 12: 2200 13: 2200 14: 2200
15: 2200 16: 2200 bogomips: 134399
Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm

Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GA106 [GeForce RTX 3060 Lite Hash Rate] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia
v: 545.23.06 pcie: speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16 bus-ID: 0a:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:2504
Device-2: Creative Live! Cam Sync 1080p type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-1:2
chip-ID: 041e:409f
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: nvidia
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa gpu: nvidia display-ID: :0 screens: 1
Screen-1: 0 s-res: 3440x1440 s-dpi: 109
Monitor-1: DP-4 res: 3440x1440 dpi: 109 diag: 865mm (34.1")
OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 545.23.06
direct render: Yes

I definitely have the shadows all flickering (when in animations) and also different results from 3D Viewport than final Render.

Let’s make this perfectly clear! :wink:

8 Likes

I have the same Nvidia GPU (Nvidia RTX 3060 12Gb ram) and I can confirm the flickering issue and also they vanish sometime. If I turn all the light off and the turn on they work ok for a while and then they vanish again or the flickering starts.

2 Likes

@rogper @Emi_100 Then open a bug report with steps and a file where we can reproduce the issue, please.

I keep seeing people saying they have issues with flickering lights, but nobody has bothered to make a report so far.
I have a 3060ti, so unless it’s a super specific driver issue with that model, I should be able to reproduce it as well.

3 Likes

I can’t share the files where I keep finding these issues because they are from work (30 second short animations to advertise games) and are all closed under the non disclosure agreements.

but nobody has bothered to make a report so far.

…it’s just lack of time. On the simpler one I shown above seemed to work fine. Would be very time consuming to make a scene where this happens, not knowing if it will happen.

Edit: I confirm that a Suzanne head and a square as floor + Sun lamp doesn’t show the problem and shadows work and animate fine in this minimalist setting, both for 3D viewport and final render. No problem at all.

On work files I very commonly drain all the 12Gb of the card… and I notice more glitches when I have scenes that use huge amounts of animated particles or geometry nodes vegetation… But yeah 6 to 8 Gb with peaks of 12Gb + volumes for mist, dynamic paint, cloth simulations, etc (example)

Hello everyone, I have been testing EEVEE Next since version 4.1, and I am now faced with a problem. The HDRI lighting in the current version does not match that of the Legacy version. Thank you for your help in advance. I would appreciate any clarification or information on this matter.

EEVEE

EEVEE Next

Hi, Good day Blender developers. It’s my first time posting here. I downloaded EEVEE NEXT last March. I wonder why the effect has different results in realtime compositor and render result when using Glare Fog Glow effect. Maybe it’s just my settings for eevee next not adjusted properly? I posted the animation result in BA last month. You can view it here.

New Users in the forum can only post 1 media so I’ll just write the Blender build info.

Version: 4.2.0 Alpha
Date: 2024-03-10 18:36
Hash: 703353b5dafc
Branch: Main

Make a bug report with your file

This is a known issue. The algorithm used for the fog glow effect is different between the real time compositor and the standard compositor. And in Blender 4.2 I believe the implementation used by the GPU is going to be renamed to “Bloom” to represent the fact it’s different from fog glow.

Either way, feedback about the realtime compositor should be made on the realtime compositor feedback thread, not the the EEVEE-Next thread: Real-time Compositor: Feedback and discussion

2 Likes

System Information
Operating system: Windows-10-10.0.22631-SP0 64 Bits
Graphics card: AMD Radeon™ Graphics ATI Technologies Inc. 4.6.0 Core Profile Context 23.11.1.231017

Blender Version
Version: 4.2.0 Alpha, branch: main, commit date: 2024-03-27 12:43, hash: 896b552672ca

Does anyone else have these rendering artifacts?

Hi thanks for the link and thanks for the info about the fog glow. Just a question, should I still post this on the Real-time compositor discussion or will this make a spam there?