Blender 4.2 - EEVEE-Next Feedback

@rogper @Emi_100 Then open a bug report with steps and a file where we can reproduce the issue, please.

I keep seeing people saying they have issues with flickering lights, but nobody has bothered to make a report so far.
I have a 3060ti, so unless it’s a super specific driver issue with that model, I should be able to reproduce it as well.

3 Likes

I can’t share the files where I keep finding these issues because they are from work (30 second short animations to advertise games) and are all closed under the non disclosure agreements.

but nobody has bothered to make a report so far.

…it’s just lack of time. On the simpler one I shown above seemed to work fine. Would be very time consuming to make a scene where this happens, not knowing if it will happen.

Edit: I confirm that a Suzanne head and a square as floor + Sun lamp doesn’t show the problem and shadows work and animate fine in this minimalist setting, both for 3D viewport and final render. No problem at all.

On work files I very commonly drain all the 12Gb of the card… and I notice more glitches when I have scenes that use huge amounts of animated particles or geometry nodes vegetation… But yeah 6 to 8 Gb with peaks of 12Gb + volumes for mist, dynamic paint, cloth simulations, etc (example)

Hello everyone, I have been testing EEVEE Next since version 4.1, and I am now faced with a problem. The HDRI lighting in the current version does not match that of the Legacy version. Thank you for your help in advance. I would appreciate any clarification or information on this matter.

EEVEE

EEVEE Next

Hi, Good day Blender developers. It’s my first time posting here. I downloaded EEVEE NEXT last March. I wonder why the effect has different results in realtime compositor and render result when using Glare Fog Glow effect. Maybe it’s just my settings for eevee next not adjusted properly? I posted the animation result in BA last month. You can view it here.

New Users in the forum can only post 1 media so I’ll just write the Blender build info.

Version: 4.2.0 Alpha
Date: 2024-03-10 18:36
Hash: 703353b5dafc
Branch: Main

Make a bug report with your file

This is a known issue. The algorithm used for the fog glow effect is different between the real time compositor and the standard compositor. And in Blender 4.2 I believe the implementation used by the GPU is going to be renamed to “Bloom” to represent the fact it’s different from fog glow.

Either way, feedback about the realtime compositor should be made on the realtime compositor feedback thread, not the the EEVEE-Next thread: Real-time Compositor: Feedback and discussion

2 Likes

System Information
Operating system: Windows-10-10.0.22631-SP0 64 Bits
Graphics card: AMD Radeon™ Graphics ATI Technologies Inc. 4.6.0 Core Profile Context 23.11.1.231017

Blender Version
Version: 4.2.0 Alpha, branch: main, commit date: 2024-03-27 12:43, hash: 896b552672ca

Does anyone else have these rendering artifacts?

Hi thanks for the link and thanks for the info about the fog glow. Just a question, should I still post this on the Real-time compositor discussion or will this make a spam there?

There’s no need to make the post about fog glow differences at the moment. It’s already known. But if you have future feedback for the real time compositor, post it there.

1 Like

What Global Illumination technique will be used for Eevee? And will it be raytraced or not raytraced design?
Can we expect GI in 4.2?

At the moment EEVEE-Next supports screen space ray traced global illumination, and I believe it supports baking global illumination to light probes and/or surfels (I haven’t followed this part of development too closely). These will be available in 4.2.

It appears triangle based ray tracing won’t be implemented until after Blender switches to the Vulkan graphics API. Which is not going to be ready for 4.2. After the switch to Vulkan, I don’t know the timeline for when triangle based ray tracing will be added, or which effects will get the ray tracing treatment, in which order they will get them, or in what form. Maybe someone else can provide a better answer on this.

3 Likes

Nope… have not seen that one.

On today build I’m getting something similar to this, but feels different simultaneously… in a scene full of transparent objects (mostly vegetation billboards) kind of overhaul feels very noisy while compiling the shaders and the scene becomes so heavy (it’s an heavy scene but Eevee-Legacy can handle it, (slow but can)) that I had to quit.

I found what appears to be a regression (I guess it’s temporal) in reflection calculations. Old 4.2 fixed it at some point but last builds get it wrong again as you can see in the water:

2 Likes

When the angle of the sun lamp changes, the reflections gradually get better:

I’m on Windows 11, RTX3090

1 Like

Shadow wise this is much better than I’m getting.

1 Like

I thought shadows were already improved

At static form they look perfect. In my case as soon I animate a shot, up to a few days ago, they flicker substantially. Seems that is just for some GPUs tho.

1 Like

@Juan_Romero Open a bug report with a reproduction file, please.
Just looking at an image requires a lot of guesswork on our side.

sure, I posted it here because it already had happended before and was fixed so I thought the devs knew about it, but I’ll report it. I’ll make the simplest scene where it happens

3 Likes