Blender 4.2 - EEVEE-Next Feedback

Trying out reflections again. Reflections seem to be where they was a couple of months ago… I’ve been trying to use various scenes, even ones that have been built from scratch in 4.1, as to hopefully bypass any older versioning compatibility issues.

Windows 11/Nvidia 4090

First Image - Eevee Next: Missing objects in the reflections are really common. Sometimes switching “bump” to “bump and displacement” in an material’s setting will make an object reappear in the reflection; usually not though.
Very low reflection resolution seems to be default. I can’t find a way to increase the reflection resolution.

Second Image - Eevee Next (Reflection Cube Map and Reflection Plane): With a Reflection Cube Map and Reflection Plane the reflection can clean up a bit but the materials can be completely wrong. And Shadows in the reflection disappear.

Third Image - Cycles for a quick baseline comparison:

Overall things in Eevee Next are improving. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Theres some weird flickering in reflections too

1 Like

compared to:

And the reflection lighting does not match the scene lighting, it seems to not be computing the shadows correctly

2 Likes

On most recent build EEVEE is now Called EEVEE-Next again!?

I think it’s because it was postponed to 4.2: EEVEE-Next release postponed to Blender 4.2 LTS

HO!!! I didn’t knew that :neutral_face: Thanks for the heads up!

Does anyone know why Eevee Next materials have a switch in transparency blend mode, for z fighting geometry to turn off backfaces? In legacy Eevee they simply added on top of each other now they dither :frowning:

The dithering of blended materials is a bug and will be fixed.

5 Likes

Oh thank you so much! I was worried that all of my stacked light streak models would never render again

I think that alpha blending issue was fixed 2 days ago by Miguel?

1 Like

did you remove the option to choose between alpha blended/hashed/clipped ??

See this earlier reply to you:

lol , yeah i only check every few weeks … its in the material properties tab

1 Like

Is there any plan to implement the ability to use textures for lighting in Eevee Next? Alternatively, are there currently any methods to apply textures to lights in Eevee Next?

I think the only way currently is to use GOBO plane in front of the light.

1 Like

I tried this gobo technique for additive mixing, I tried mixing 3 coloured sun lamps with colour seperated gobos but I couldnt register the shadows correctly for a good mix. You can try faking it with texture projections but that means editing every material.

Gobo!? The old mask type of thing with transparent zones that we place in front of a lamp!?

Gobos are a theatre lighting technique:

1 Like

OK then not a gobo or a flag, more like a technicolor strip system