5 Likes

A fix has been committed Fix Subdivide, Reshape and Apply Base

I hope it works :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

@kosirm Why you deleted your ā€œhonestā€ post? :rofl:

Layered sculpting is "less important, extra polish, nice to have". :wink:

https://developer.blender.org/T63745

1 Like

Thanks for this info, well yeah, sometime I feel like who am I to talkā€¦ Sorry. But I really think what I said :slight_smile:

Ok, I will re-post itā€¦
Hi, I would like to speak in the name of sculptorsā€¦ I actually donā€™t believe that anyone from core team is reading this, but anywayā€¦ Multiresolution sculpting is CORE functionality of any sculpting app (ZBrush, 3DCoat, Mudboxā€¦ you name it), and all these apps are built arround that. Please look how elegantly and user friendly you can sculpt in multiple layers (not only multiple resolutions!) in Mudbox. And this stuff is more than 10 years old!!! Blender folks like to talk about pioneering, but you canā€™t pioneer nothing if core functionality is broken. Subdivide, Reshape and Apply baseā€¦ all this looks like hacky workarround. Iā€™m aware that Blender is completely different beast than some sculpting app, because it has ALL - modeling, rigging, animation and whatnotā€¦ and it is not the same story to integrate multires sculpting in Blender and do the same thing in some pure sculpting app.

But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, before you decide to introduce some gardening or vacuum cleaning feature in Blender, take a highly skilled contractor and do it once and for all, if Pablo Dobarro is not capableā€¦ I mean, he is excellent developer and also talented artist, but he is not god, I suppose :slight_smile:

Please do this for all of us sculptors, who LOVE Blender>!

1 Like

These descriptions arenā€™t really valid for this, they are generic ones from all modules pages but not every module uses them the same way. In this case itā€™s just a relative ranking of long-term projects in the sculpt module.

This is the difficulty with having an open development process. If youā€™re just talking between developers within a company everyone knows what is meant by this, and for any external communication you take extra care. But if itā€™s all in the open people will nitpick things like this.

We could rank everything as high priority but that would be meaningless. The point is just that core multires improvements and performance improvements were decided to be higher priority, before adding more features like layering. Adding those while the core architecture is changing would not work well.

6 Likes

We are reading these topics.

Multires is being worked on right now. Concrete next steps are here:
https://developer.blender.org/T73317

I donā€™t think official Blender communications are actually claiming this. We know there is still a big gap with dedicated sculpting apps. We canā€™t control what users say though.

These are fundamental operations in any sculpting app, they might just have different names or happen automatically under the hood. If you look at the planned task you will see that for example we are planning to automate apply base.

4 Likes

So good to know :slight_smile:
Thanks for reply! Thank you for all information you gave meā€¦ hopefully in the near future I will be able to do all the work in Blender and I wonā€™t have to jump to other apps for sculpting.

Yeah, that was harsh, appologies to Blender team!

Thanks, yes I read that and tested immediately :slight_smile:

So, to show you that Iā€™m serious about this, I give you my promise:
the one who will implement multires sculpting on non-top level, will earn my lifetime ZBrush license ($895 value)! You can use it for further comparison with industry leaders :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow that was incredibly fast! Hat off! Please PM me the name of the new ZBrush owner. Cheers!

I want to give little feedback on current MultiRes. The case is fairly straightforward:

1. A mesh with 1 milion poly.
  2. 3 render/sculpt MultiRes layers on top of it.
  3. MultiRes is hidden in viewport.
  4. Go into edit mode.
  5. Add between 15-20% more mesh - extrude part of the mesh, add loop-cuts to match the original 1kk mesh density.

After applying loop cuts the RAM usage spiked and plateau at around 95GB. The CPU is used between 50-70% on all threads. And it sits on this for over 13 hours now, as Iā€™m writing this post.

The CPU usage is indicating that some work is beeing done:

But I donā€™t know if this is some kind of bug with neverending loop, and I should break it. Or itā€™s just taking so long for MultiRes to be updated to new mesh size.
I should add that CPU usage spikes are not repetitive.

1 Like

Thank you for your efforts.

1 Like

Yes for me it would be very important to make shapekeys on multires layers. Itā€™s also important for the DAZ Genesis figures with HD-Morphs imported with the Diffeo DAZtoBlender tool. Till now itā€™s not possible to handle the HD-Morphs of DAZ figures. We realy need shapekeys wich works on multires Layers.