Blender 2.8 extremely slow viewport with ice lake cpu

Hi, I just got a brand new Lenovo laptop with the new 10th gen intel i7-1065G7 cpu.
Problem is it’s very sluggish with Blender 2.80 and 2.81 with just a box in the viewport(about 10 fps).

Runs smooth in 2.79, Houdini and other 3D apps.
I wonder if it’s something to do with the new iris plus integrated graphics.
Hope something can be done.

/Nikolaj

1 Like

out of curiosity, on which system?
have you tried the latest drivers?
try starting blender with
blender --debug-gpu-force-workarounds
and see if the situation improves,
I know that workarounds have been created for Intel GPUs, but maybe your model is not included and may need it …

It’s the new lenovo yoga c940 with windows 10.
I’ve updated everything through lenovo but I’ve found a newer graphics driver on intels page. It won’t let me install it because it’s not a validated lenovo driver. This might be the issue although everything except Blender 2.8 runs great.

I’ve tried blender --debug-gpu-force-workarounds and it makes no difference.

GPU: Bypassing workaround detection.
GPU: OpenGL identification strings
GPU: vendor: Intel
GPU: renderer: Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics
GPU: version: 4.5.0 - Build 25.20.100.7011

1 Like

I don’t have a solution …
just a question … where did you get these 10 frames per second?
perhaps they do not correspond to a real reading …
do one thing … download some demos from here and make and post a video by activating eevee realtime rendering … from there I can tell you if in my opinion you have real problems or not.

The 10 frames was an estimate when navigating in the viewport with just a cube. Scrubbing the timeline with just the cube is also extremely slow. I’ve worked professionally with 3D for 15 years I know when performance is completely off and this is just a grey cube in solid mode.

I will try your demos and come back, thanks.

1 Like

well if it is so then make a bug report …
start blender by blender_debug_gpu.cmd then go on menu by help -> report a bug …

close blender and a window with same txt will appear, attach it to the bug report and describe the problems you have encountered

I have the same problem (laggy interface, even moving the window is laggy!)
Did you find a workarround or any hints?
Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 CPU, Windows 10 Pro.
By the way, blender 2.79 is running fine on the same machine!

1 Like

Unfortunately no. And I am yet to use Blender on my new Lenovo due to this problem.
I have made a bug report.
https://developer.blender.org/T70922