Bizarre viewport texture display bug

I know this isn’t the place for bug reports, but I really have no idea what is going on here so I wouldn’t even know how to report it.

The textures on some objects change when showing / hiding other objects when viewed in Solid>Textured mode. In Material Preview mode the textures appear correctly.

See gif:
texture_viewport_problem

See how, when I show / hide object collections, the viewport texture on the selected object changes (also note no changes in the material properties). The texture on the selected object is supposed to be white as seen when I switch to Material Preview mode.
I’ve been trying to find the source of the problem but with no luck. The scene is quite large, but nothing extreme. I’ve been working on this file for over 80 hours so to have this now is quite concerning :neutral_face:

Blender 2.83.1
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Update:
After adding more materials & textures it’s getting worse :confounded:

With a bit of experimenting of slowly appending objects to a brand new scene, it appears as though whenever I go over 70 images the problem starts happening.
Is there any reason why there would be a limit on the amount of images in one scene, or a texture memory limit?