Asset Manager Feedback

Has someone found a way or workaround how to place Assets at the mouse cursor or 3D cursor till this functionality is implemented?
We test the Asset browser already in production (Concept Art and ArchViz) , but this would speed up using and testing it a lot.

2 Likes

quick couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to mark a shader nodegroup as an asset other than going into outliner’s blender file display mode?
  2. Once a group is marked as an asset…is it usable? I couldn’t drop it into the shader editor, but seeing that the mark as asset option is so hidden, I think it may not be working yet. Am I right?

Hello guys,

Is there a way to produce a preview of an asset that is quite big - a landscape mesh that is bigger that 350x350m proves to be an issue - the “camera” starts clipping and produces empty or clipped images.

1 Like

I have also noticed that, i do large structures like kilometer long wall and that gets clipped off, on top of that, having a mirror modifier does not render in the thumbnail if it’s turned on, you get half the mesh

I agree, for example

1. we need to browse folders to find things

2. only marked assets are visibible, instead, there should be an option to show all the assets (even unmarked assets) in the blender file like ‘‘a thumbnail version of outliner’’. So we can browse materials and duplicate materials from asset browser like in unreal engine, it feels like only asset browser is designed to have a blend file to mark assets and put it in a directory and put file paths on preferences to use.
    It doesnt allow for handling assets found in current blend file without marking them as asset,
    Many softwares have material manager, camera manager, this asset browser need a drop down ‘‘show all assets in the current file without being marked as asset’’

3. Similart to 2nd option and combined with opiton 1 to browse files, it should have a browser feature to find blend files in any folder in computer then clicking blend files and seeing inside of files and when we want we can append anything by browsing files without going file append, just using browser and browsing computer and choosing a blend file and see materials inside blend files with thumbnails and cameras. (For this, all blend files should have optional thing to pack the thumbnaails of every single material without being marked as asset,so later while browsing any random file they will have thumbnails, )
    In summary: Option 2 is kind of more visual version of outliner for things inside blend file
    Option 1&3 is kind of more visual version of ''file-append-blendfile ‘’ that is integrated to asset browser

If we add these new features, We will have 4 areas for asset manager

1. current file assets
  2. file path assets or asset library of addons
  3. current file all assets without being marked in categories= thumbnail and visualizaed version of outliner
  4. browsing in computer with thumbnails and searching for blend files and their inside and appending or linking without using ‘‘file- append etc.’’

I could make a rightclickselect about this with all the details and concept visualizations, but i know they will never be noticed… I wish I could do if I knew coding cuz Best way is to put it in Bonestudio branch so slowly it can inspire developers or merged

That would be a really handy feature if the computation time of looking for and displaying assets in the browser were not that high.

Also, especially for materials the render time of a single preview is up to several seconds so I don’t really see it happening at runtime for files with hundreds of materials. And if you want to store them, last time I checked each asset metadata adds 64 kb to file size so if you were to store it per potential asset, now that pretty much all object types are supported in 3.2, the file sizes would be through the roof.

2 Likes

I dont know if this would be relevant in any way, but i remember that Kit Ops had rendering issue with their library of inserts, they ““fixed” that recently by storing renders of inserts, Thumbnail caching engine that came with the " bronson edition” update

Yes I agree that was what I was worried about the files size and render time. I know the filesizes can be too much, but at least if its optional so only people who wanna accept waiting and high file size can do it OR it can have option to choose how much quality or size u need for preview so filesize and render time can decrease,
For example maybe as alternative the preview can be rendered smaller really really small that its just something to give idea about material. orr it can be a noisy low sample preview just to give idea orrrr the previews can be rendered by eevee and there can be a little sign implicating if the preview is cycles or eevee. Its just a way to ease the navigation and search for things inside other files, it doesnt need to be perfectly accurate render or HQ quality, it can be eveen very very tiny and upscaled.
Not to mention the material preview on the properties window on material tab is almost instatenous, its low quality but it looks good enough and its sudden, even a snapshot of that is enough to understand material.

This is an extra or later step to solve for the materials in files we browse,

,but at least we should be able to browse blend files on asset browser or see all the materials in the current file with thubnails that are low quality like the material previews that are found on properties tab or just by eevee thumbnail
Many other softwares have material manager and even though its not an asset, they show the thumbnail of all materials without waiting for rendering thumbnai. Such as unreal engine has materials and u duplicated and then click apply and i doesnt take any time cuz it use realtime engine thumbnails and we have eevee so this issue can be easily solved by using eevee.