Animation Improvements for 2.8

Yeah, i agree, It’s probably under redesign to do for the future, because it should be something similar to collections, or even simpler than that, maybe a system exactly like bone groups but that has the layers and protected layers functions, that should be enough.

1 Like

Even if it’s specific I wouldn’t want it removed. Maybe keep it but also add whatever you are asking.

1 Like

sounds fair, as long as we have decent defaults I’m happy to have more options, that’s for sure.

1 Like

That’s what I was referring to, at the end of my reply.

Is this right place to ask for the abillity to edit animation paths?

I found an old rightclickselect topic for this feature https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/VDbbbc/
What do you guys think?

13 Likes

An amazing improvement would be that the multi edit keyframes from Grease Pencil could be implemented in the animation, it would make life amazing!

1 Like

A must have for animation.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Other solution : highlight the text of the selection and/or grey out slightly the others.

2 Likes

that’s the issue, they are already highlighted when u select the channels which means you’ll need a second level highlighting when u select the keys/curves.

1 Like

Theres a highlight in the outliner now for the selected and a separate for the active selection. Similar could be done for this, except multiple channels could be active here?

1 Like

Are they already requested to developer, (and developer check these proposal) or these requests need to add in right-click select individually?

I am currently have some proposal, about “auto key” and “keying set”.
I really hope “auto keying” will work for cutom props (eg custom porps which drive shape keys " for morphing.

Unfortunately, at current blender auto-key only work for transform value.
so even though armature have custom pops for morphing, we can not use auto-key
without user made script individually.

The problem is, it depend on add on user who offer rig tool, then each vendor make original script to get it work. so some tool may not count current “Active keying set”
or some rig vendor try to use “active keying set” for filter “auto key”

it offer different behavor, when we use same “Auto key”

if blender “Auto key” work with “keying set” filter option, as default, for non transform value , (eg shape key, or material, or light property etc) it enhance many animation workflow.

1 Like

I think this thread is a good starting point. The developers announced an “Animation Pipeline 2020 project” for everything relating to a charachter animation pipeline.

But for now there is no place to collect the feedback.

1 Like

I am just passing by… I leave it here:

4 Likes

yeah, im using it already, and I love the anim transform, also something i use a lot in animbot!

1 Like
5 Likes

Yesterday I added a few graph editor design tasks to Phabricator:

5 Likes

I’ll add just some of my thoughts on improvements ideas for animation in Blender I noted so far

1. Input transform for all selected objects
    When multiple objects are selected you can’t move all objects by changing the value in transform space. But you can do it with the gizmo in the viewport. This would work greatly when you want to type in the value for all objects. e.g. Zero out the Z location so all objects are on on the same level

2. Select multiple transforms
    You cant select multiple transforms, which would be great for seating the same values on multiple attributes. e.g. I usually do it to plan a foot by setting the location Z & rotation X,Y to zero

3. double click on obj transform f- curve eye icon toggles visibility of other
    Seeing all curves in the GE even if unselected is really annoying for me. It’s just messy. I tackle this by setting the unselected f-curve visibility to 0.001 and disabling visibility of unselected key frames. But I think it would be easier if double clicking on the eye icon would disable other channels

4. auto record keframe with mode to only key used transforms
    I described this one here some time ago https://developer.blender.org/T68424

5. In Graph Editor box select does not enable the active keyframe menu on the side. You must click on the channels name to enable it

6. in GE “view all” does not use the whole space of the window and still needs to be resized after using it. Same goes for the timline

7. In GE it would be really useful to lock the cursor Y & maybe even X axis. It’s really annoying when it jumps all the time

8. As default in GE all channels should be expanded & stay collapsed after closing them. Now after inserting a new keyframe I have to always expand the channels list

9. Default rotation mode should be set in Properties. Now I need to change to Euler for every object & delete keyframe on quaternions if I insert a keayframe and forget to change the mode

10. In timeline when box selecting couple of keyframes & dragging only one is moved. Not all of them. I know you can use the move tool for that but it’s not intuitive. If I select multiple objects, all should be modified not only one

11. Timeline is just bad. It should be something less modifiable. All those extra features to move the view horizontal and divide the keys according to objects/channels make it only less usable. It’s just a strange version of the dope sheet.

12. Ne animation layers! Ok, ok, there is Action Editor & NLA Editor but that looks soooo complicated and I still have not figured it out. And this is a basic tool for animators, it should be simple.

BONUS – Not animation related

1. Redo is not standard Ctrl+Y but Shift+Ctrl+Z . I know you can change it but common, the Ctrl+ Y is not even used in blender keymap. It’s different just to annoy people, isn’t it?
  2. Keymap in preferences is not in alphabetical order & is not sortable
  3. Keaymap does not have a scroll bar
  4. In Keymap when typing in filter, the search result does not show a full path where to find this item
  5. No “collapse/expand all” button in Keaymap
  6. No preferences in for custom Keymap. There is only for the default Blender one
5 Likes

Unfortunately, having such a list isn’t going to help much. There are way more lists of good ideas out there than there are developers with actual time & skill to implement those ideas.

2 Likes

Totally, we could probably help by sorting them in 2 classifications importance (will improve workflow greatly) and ease of implementation (wont require crazy development time)
I clearly dont know exactly about the latter but i think i can have a fairly good idea and if im off you can help me correct :slight_smile:
if you think doing this would help i could start doing it

1 Like