2024-07-30 User Interface Meeting

User Interface Module Meeting 2024-07-30T15:00:00Z

Regular User Interface module meeting for planning and coordination. Last meeting was July 18th, next meeting on August 13th.

Attendees

• Julian Eisel
  • Pablo Vazquez
  • Jonas Holzman
  • Harley Acheson

Merged Since Last Meeting

High Priority Bugs

Module Roadmap

• Docking is in as an experimental feature. Good feedback on Devtalk. Needs some (probably) slight corrections for Mac. Harley will see if Jonas can offer some help with the simple case of inter-window docking on the same monitor.
  • Possible “Tabbed Area” project
  • Complex Text Shaping

Review

Design & Discussion

• WIP: UI: Status Bar Using SVG Icons #125591
    • We like this. Move forward. Update Windows key to Win11 style
  • Talk of removing “icon alpha” preference. Make a PR, discuss further.
  • Discussion of custom window decorations with Jonas. Moving forward. Harley can do similar for Win 11.
  • Discussion of warning for using using incorrect build on Mac. Have similar need for Windows on Arm. The warning needs to be more prominent, perhaps in a box above the other items.
  • We like Jonas’ proposed change to color picker hex input.
  • Could we change (awkward) “External” menu name to “Open In”?
  • With #125146 this kind of thing would be possible:
14 Likes

I got a message that is this comment was flagged and it was removed, but its still here. I linked Inkscape because it open source program which is under the GNU Lesser General Public License. I’m very confused do you want me to edit it or remove it? I have no problem either way.

Are there any plans to allow users to replace the current icons with new ones (of your liking), like in Inkscape’s welcome dialog?
Or do you have plans to offer the ability to change individual icons or provide an icon pack in the future?
If so, it would be great to be able to download icon packs (or even individual icons) from the extensions platform.

@Gabi_love In general, any kind of feature request is off-topic on this forum. Also there is a copyright guideline regarding screenshots from other applications, but it’s okay for open source software like Inkscape.

Thanks for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Thomas

Sure, thanks for the heads up. I’ll keep that in mind for next time.
I wasn’t asking so much for a feature request rather if it’s planned or if it’s on the agenda. Not copying it but rather if you planned to do something similar or having the ability to change icons.
Sorry if I wasn’t that clear about it.

1 Like

The changes to SVG icons will make it easier to add and update these within the project. And eventually use them from add-ons. Whether we ever get to a point where you can just choose from a set of them like Inscape is fairly theoretical at the moment. Unlike Inkscape we have about 1000 icons so it is a tall order to have anyone make an alternative set.

More likely we could move toward making icons work both monochromatically and multicolored, with those colors being theme-able. That should make most people happy and move far beyond what Inkscape is doing.

7 Likes

I guess if changing icons sets ever become a possibility, i bet some people from the community would be happy to make complete sets, and the extensions platform could be a nice place to store them? Though admittedly that’s daydreaming for the current state of things, x)

1 Like