2024-02-29 Pipeline, Assets & I/O Meeting

This is the place to take notes for on-going Pipeline, Assets & I/O meetings, before moving them to Meetings - Developer Forum . Please keep it as a clean, ready-to-use template for the next meeting.

Everyone is welcome on the Google Meet linked below every other Thursday, at 17:00 CET.

Present: Bastien Montagne, Brecht Van Lommel, Charles Wardlaw, Jesse Yurkovich, Micheal Kowalski, Matt McLin

The meeting covers the pipeline & I/O module in a broader sense, including some topics hosted in other modules (e.g. some I/O python add-ons, or overrides and .blend file I/O from the Core module).

Links

USD

Targets for Blender 4.2

• Micheal created the task, all contributors are welcome to add more targets there.
  • Import of GeometrySet from USD and Alembic has been merged in main.
  • Import UsdGeomPoints as Point Clouds: Micheal will work with Devin to merge it in main very soon.
  • Matt raises the topic of materialX export. Both Brian Savary and Brecht have some initial WIP work for that. Might be good to allow exporting several material types at once (PreviewSurface and MaterialX e.g.).
  • Improve the handling of the subdivision schema on import?
  • Matt is interested in improving import of time-sampled data. Charles also suggests having a way to convert a transform cache into actual animation curves.
  • Most features from the original USD branch will soon be merged now, and USD I/O starts having a good coverage of all initial targets. Would be a good time to have a feedback thread on devtalk to gather more info on what needs to be worked on in the future.

Improved Integration of USD in Blender

See also the synthetic task.

Collection Export

This is about the basic support of export settings per collection, available for any external format (not the more advanced topics discussed in the previous meetings, specific to USD).

See also the design task.

The pull request is still WIP. But lots of progress and fixes have been done.

Most remaining TODOs are tweaks to the UI (collection icon, UI drawing updates to python IO add-ons). Where to write by default (which file path) is also still an open question.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 25th April, 17:00 CEST/Amsterdam time (your local time: 2024-04-25T15:00:00Z).

The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #pipeline-assets-io-module channel before the meeting.

5 Likes