• Sebastian Parborg
  • Sergey Sharybin

Notes

• Since previous meeting:
    • Bugfixes and regular smaller improvements
    • FFmpeg: cache swscale contexts7 instead of re-creating them #118130
    • ImBuf: do not clear newly allocated image pixels when not needed #118321
    • Video: Remove non-ffmpeg AVI support
    • Video: change bMovieHandle function to take ImBuf as input (Ref: #118493)
    • VSE: Skip rendering lower strips that are behind opaque strips above them #118396
    • VSE: Reduce playback stalls when new video clips start playing #118503
  • Currently working on:
    • Sebastian is working on a better UI/UX for the media with different FPS. Faced some limitations of the redo panel and file browser. THe solution for it is in the works.
    • Aras is working on incorporating Strips Design Tweaks into indicate missing media in timeline/display.
    • There is a progress in the 10+ bit per pixel video output support. Some technical refactor is done, need to implement an actual hook to the FFmpeg API.
    • Richard is working on sharing ImBufAnim across multiple strips, to lower the memory consumption.
    • Francesco brings attention to the LMB tweaking behavior for strip handles.
      • Would be nice to finish it for 4.2
    • Meeting discussed enabling prefetch by default. It should be straightforward/safe to do for media type of strips,

Practical Info

This is a forthlightly video chat meeting for planning and discussion of VFX & Video in Blender. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on these areas in Blender is welcome to join and add proposed items to the agenda.

For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing this.
I really believe that VSE (and the Compositor) is crucial part of the Blender ecosystem or I would call it an open-source 2D-3D animation-VFX pipeline.

I have to mention a few more far-reaching ideas:

• VSE preview window has to be developed to an interactive image editing user interface (I reference The Foundry Nuke / Nuke Studio viewer) - so it would serve the purpose of transforming/deforming, keying animation, 2D track, roto, mask, color correction, etc.
  • integrate Compositor into VSE - as an effect strip for eg. - the community begs about it for ages
  • integrate Movie Clip Editor’s features (as above)

I know this goals can be valid for Blender 5.0 :slightly_smiling_face: but somewhere we have to start working on it.

Thanks for your attention!

We believe that sequencer and compositor are important as well, but the meeting notes thread is not meant for sharing ideas for possible future development. It is about sharing the progress of an on-going projects, and possibly clarification on them.

1 Like