2024-01-04 Pipeline, Assets & I/O Meeting

Everyone is welcome on the Google Meet linked below every other Thursday, at 17:00 CET.

Present: Bastien Montagne, Brecht Van Lommel, Charles Wardlaw, Jesse Yurkovich, Micheal Kowalski

The meeting covers the pipeline & I/O module in a broader sense, including some topics hosted in other modules (e.g. some I/O python add-ons, or overrides and .blend file I/O from the Core module).

Links

USD

Ongoing development for Blender 4.1 targets

As a reminder, Blender 4.1 moved into BCon2 on the 3rd January.

Jesse will also check on the open USD-related reports. There are already a few PRs for bugfixes waiting to be finalized.

Improved Integration of USD in Blender

See also the synthetic task.

USD Reference

Charles wants to start working on a prototype based on the ‘new ID’ idea, which is one of the options defined in the design task. This design remains very general and fuzzy currently, so that would be a highly experimental work.

Collection Export

This is about the basic support of export settings per collection, available for any external format (not the more advanced topics discussed in the previous meetings, specific to USD).

See also the design task.

Jesse has been working on a prototype. He is currently facing some UI-related issues regarding panels drawing and operators calling.

Cascading handling of sub-collections will likely not be tackled in the initial build, but considered as a later improvement.

Other

The Drag and Drop PR using the new file handler for import is still not in main. It should be merged though, even though Guillermo created a new UI prototype for this feature.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 18th January, 17:00 CET/Amsterdam time (your local time: 2024-01-18T16:00:00Z).

The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #pipeline-assets-io-module channel before the meeting.

4 Likes

Any news on importing attributes in alembic? Does this patch allow that? There is a 3.5 patch that works great for attributes? Any possiblity to have it in 4.1?

2 Likes