2023-10-05 Pipeline, Assets & I/O meeting

Everyone is welcome on the Google Meet linked below every other Thursday, at 17:00 CEST.

Present: Bastien Montagne, Charles Wardlaw, Micheal Kowalski

The meeting covers the pipeline & I/O module in a broader sense, including some topics hosted in other modules (e.g. some I/O python add-ons, or overrides and .blend file I/O from the Core module).

Links

USD

Main changes to 4.0 have now been all done or delayed, focus should now be on finalizing targets for 4.1. As a reminder, bug changes/new features can be added to 4.1 until the end of this year (20th December).

• Armature export should get reviewed and go in Blender 4.1 (main) soon.
    • The hacks around unique attributes/vgroups names is likely not needed for now, situation will have to be re-evaluated once vgroups become real generic attributes.
  • There are a couple of interesting PRs already:
  • Potential other targets: scene instancing, point cloud reader, …
  • Michael will update the relevant task.
  • Charles is currently working on minor improvements and bug fixes.

Other

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 19th October, 17:00 CEST/Amsterdam time (your local time: 2023-10-19T15:00:00Z).

The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #pipeline-assets-io-module channel before the meeting.

5 Likes

Let me stress this out, just so this does not slip over, “point cloud reader”, that is a must for any kinf of efficient VFX interop :slight_smile:

I see some related tasks listed in the 4.1 targets :wink:

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks @mont29