2023-09-26 User Interface Meeting

I agree that affect origin only and lock camera to view are very misplaced.
But that’s not quite related to overlay settings, which wouldn’t be completely misplaced there.
Sure, ideally you’d want them on the header. They’re at the right spot.
I am just encouraging it to be considered, not to implement it necessarily (Just think whether it makes sense).

There are a lot of overlay settings, and they are somewhat in the same theme as “View” settings, which are also in the N-Shelf. Makes me wonder why the settings in the view tab aren’t on the header too.
Overlay settings, just like view settings, are “set and forget” for most work tasks, so top-layer accessibility is not necessarily required, as the user does not need to constantly tweak them when working.

Speaking about the misplaced affect origin only and lock camera to view:
The affect origins only should probably be a toggle icon to the left of transform orientation, on the header, and/or called with a hotkey when transforming.
The camera lock should be a checkbox within the “View” drop-down menu, and a UI Gizmo button (as proposed in your link).

For me, they’re settings I might be changing on a constant basis when I’m moving between related tasks; definitely not setting and forgetting.

Example image:

Having the Settings in the toolbar (header) means that i can keep particular Tools (nPanel) persistent in the interface as I’m doing multiple actions - I might be painting weights, or dealing with other poly actions in Edit mode. I don’t want to have to leave my Tools that I’m using - and use a different nPanel (and then go back to my Tools)- as I jump between modes to change whether or not I see Creases or Sharps.

You don’t need to go to the N-panel for affect only origins.

origin

I always forget that menu even exists - thanks for correcting me (and reminding me.)

(Why can’t I remember that menu is there!!??)

3 Likes

The problem is, that “Affect only origins” is not an active tool setting. This is not where it should be.
How is it related to the “Place cursor” active tool, or “Select” active tool? It isn’t.

Fair to say that “Options” doesn’t communicate what you can find there…

3 Likes

Honestly, I’d rather it just be a dedicated toggle button to the left of the Global/Local/Normal menu in the header bar. (But not trying to move off-topic with that.)

Also Ctrl-. (dot) to toggle Origins only

Yeah, no chance I’m going to remember that. :wink:

Solution: When transforming, the info bar below shows what hotkeys you can press and what they do. While transforming, a hotkey for origins only transforms could work and be displayed too. The same goes for proportional editing maybe?

Good luck with that… :wink:

Have now read that thread, and the referred design task.

Wow.

Done.

pivot_only

Change in space_view3d.py:

Around line 595, find this code:

# Orientation
        if object_mode in {'OBJECT', 'EDIT', 'EDIT_GPENCIL'} or has_pose_mode:
            orient_slot = scene.transform_orientation_slots[0]
            row = layout.row(align=True)

Change to:

# Orientation
        if object_mode in {'OBJECT', 'EDIT', 'EDIT_GPENCIL'} or has_pose_mode:
            #thorn
            row.prop(tool_settings, "use_transform_data_origin", text="", icon='PIVOT_BOUNDBOX')
            orient_slot = scene.transform_orientation_slots[0]

Note: the copy/paste is indeed pasting 3 unchanged lines of code. I’ve listed it this way, so that the position of the additional code is obvious.

1 Like

Just lacks the drop-down menu to display the “Origins” “Locations” and “Parents” checkboxes.

I didn’t want to duplicate the drop down. I just want that one button function, right there.

1 Like

There are just 3 properties for ‘Options’ for select tools. Why are they hidden under menu anyway? Just expose them in a toolbar like other settings are. They’re not gonna take any space, might even reduce it.
Like these, but with Origin, Locations, Parents icons

2 Likes

Best way is to ask @pablovazquez on stream on Monday when he does the Q&A part to review this patch, he is very busy otherwise and he can’t really see all the patches he has to review.

Mirroring settings aren’t for the active tool either, nor is auto-merge, so they shouldn’t be there.
These are global transform settings (In the same theme as orientation, proportional, snap, pivot, etc).

All of those settings logically belong on the header, exposed, in the middle, on the same row as Orientation, pivot, snap, etc.
There aren’t that many of them so they can still easily fit on a HD display. But if the 3D view is made narrow, they could collapse and be hidden under a “more transformation options” button (Three horizontal lines icon).

Here’s an idea: Maybe give power to the user to select which of these settings are exposed, and which are collapsed into “more transformation options”?
As an example, if anyone is familiar with AutoCAD, it has an equivalent row of Icons on the bottom right of the GUI. And there’s a menu to toggle the display of each individual icon there.

Prepare to do battle with that crowd who think this is the ultimate, immutable Blender interface.

1 Like