2023-08-29 User Interface

User Interface Module Meeting

Regular User Interface module meeting for planning and coordination.
Next meeting on September 13th, 2023.

Attendees

• Harley Acheson
  • Julian Eisel
  • Pablo Vazquez

Merged since last meeting

Ongoing Projects

Feedback

Help Needed

Next

Team agrees on having a look at current UI papercuts, to organize them, prioritize, and better define potential good first issues for the community to contribute to.

Practical Info

This is a bi-weekly video meeting to plan and discuss development in the User Interface module in Blender. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on user interface topics in Blender is welcome to join and add proposed items to the agenda.

For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.

18 Likes

Hello, what happened to the “lock camera to view button in the viewport” patch? No ETA? :thinking:

6 Likes

Modifiers design task says drag & drop is supported now in UI lists, does that mean every UI list will have that in 4.0? Or some special ones. It will be amazing to have that in shape keys and vertex groups especially

Drag and drop is supported for the new internal “tree view” (which can be used to make lists). UI lists still don’t support drag and drop. Since the tree views aren’t exposed to the Python API yet, I don’t think those things will get drag and drop in 4.0 unfortunately.

I see, so when/if UI lists are converted to new format it will have both drag & drop and tree view / nesting. That wil be so useful for riggers and animators. Hopefully in 4.1

1 Like

Resolved with the merge of:

5 Likes

Wasn’t that put on hold because the button was supposed to be better in line with UI conventions than button in button? That’s the last thing I heard of it. Even though I also really liked this.

Are there plans to add in outliner object re-ordering? It seems like soon everything else in Blender will have the ability to drag/drop re-order other than this one glaring missed feature. Hopefully the recent GSOC work will help facilitate this.

2 Likes

There was some movement on it, but nothing more…

I am unsure whether this is the right spot, but has there been any movement / tasks allocated to this 4 year old UI issue? – #63064 - Cycles viewport render border no longer shows scene behind with OpenGL - blender - Blender Projects

2 Likes

Ah, as usual, the important stuff always gets forgotten. Smh

That’s such an unhelpful attitude to have. This entire post is about all of the UI improvements that are being worked on or have just been merged in the past week (23 if I counted correctly).

I have no idea about the status of that patch, but one thing I can say for certain is that making passive-aggressive comments online isn’t going to make the devs any more inclined to work on it.

14 Likes

There we go. One cannot speak the truth around here.

I’m seeing UI patches far less important being worked on, reviewed, and LANDING at light speed, while this (which is something many people is asking/waiting) is left behind for years. This is not normal. And there are many more patches in that situation.

Am I suppose to lie about the situation? Fine. All is well!