This is a weekly video chat meeting for planning and discussion of Blender Eevee/viewport module development. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on Eevee/viewport in Blender is welcome to join.
For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.
- Google Meet
- Next Meeting: August 28, 2023, 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM Amsterdam Time (Your local time: 2023-08-28T09:30:00Z → 2023-08-28T10:00:00Z)
- New implementation of shadow rendering landed in main. The new implementation is faster and makes working with shadows usable. Check the pull request for detailed information what changed in the implementation (#110979 - EEVEE-Next: Shadow Rendering Refactor - blender - Blender Projects)
- Work started on improving the shadow implementation for Apple Silicon.
- The new implementation has some benefits when using tile rendering based GPUs.
- Work started on soft-shadows. During implementation light bleeding artifacts were detected when tracing the shadow map. Currently in investigation wht causes them.
- During development we detected a difference between OpenGL GLSL and Vulkan GLSL we didn’t expect. When using structs as stage interfaces all attributes must share the same interpolation qualifier. Around 80 shaders in gpu, workbench, grease pencil, overlay and eevee didn’t work on Vulkan as expected. After looking into different solutions we decided to not support per attribute interpolation modes for those shader. We had to patch those shaders. pyGPU wasn’t effected by the changes as add-ons were not able to construct struct based stage interfaces. (#111138 - Vulkan: Report Incompatible Shaders - blender - Blender Projects)
- Researching different approached for several nodes/features including Canvas transform, Pixelate and Double Edge Mask