2023-08-03 Pipeline, Assets & I/O meeting

Everyone is welcome on the Google Meet linked below every other Thursday, at 17:00 CEST.

Present: Bastien Montagne, Michael Johnson, Micheal Kowalski.

The meeting covers the pipeline & I/O module in a broader sense, including some topics hosted in other modules (e.g. some I/O python add-ons, or overrides and .blend file I/O from the Core module).

Links

USD

Most targets for Blender 4.0 release are on track:

• The python hooks PR has been accepted.
  • PR’s for the Import and export of UsdSkel will be submitted in the coming days.
  • The generic attributes PR has been accepted and should land in the coming days as well.
  • The USD scene graph instancing may not make it, depending on how fast the other targets reviews go.
  • Hydra should be merged in main in the coming week or two as well.

Since the end of BCon1 for Blender 4.0 is getting close (August 23rd), it’s time to start thinking about targets for Blender 4.1 already. Some random ideas so far:

• The integration of Hydra opens a lot of possibilities for future development.
  • Finish and merge units conversion (already partially implemented in the USD branch).
  • USD previews surface improvements, like supporting the Transform2d node.
  • Support multi-output materials (preview surface, materialX…)? Although this could also be done through the usage of python hooks.

The Alliance for OpenUSD has a new forum.

Other

The Asset Shelf will be merged this week.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 17th August, 17:00 CEST/Amsterdam time (your local time: 2023-08-17T15:00:00Z).

The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #pipeline-assets-io-module channel before the meeting.

7 Likes

Any plans to revive generic attributes for the alembic format ?

4 Likes

@JanErik I’m in the same situation, however I think Alembic won’t be here soon, but the good thing is that USD will be, it probably won’t support Point Clouds in 4.0, but it will later soon, and it will support arbitrary attributes, so for example you will be able to import a liquid sim geometry with attributes in there :slight_smile:

A possible workaround for point clouds would be to import vertices, but I think I do something wrong at the time of exporting in the source software.

In the end, USD it’s probably the solution to the reason why you are asking generic attributes in Alembic :slight_smile:

Alliance for OpenUSD Reveals Roadmap for Core USD Specification:

Article:
https://80.lv/articles/alliance-for-openusd-reveals-roadmap-for-core-usd-specification/

The announcement:
https://aousd.org/news/alliance-for-openusd-unveils-roadmap-for-core-usd-specification-and-ecosystem-collaborations/

Overview of the 2024-2025 Alliance for OpenUSD (AOUSD) roadmap for USD (video):

1 Like