2023-07-10 Grease Pencil Module Meeting

Practical info

Date/Time: 2023-07-10T14:00:00Z
Link: https://meet.google.com/xxo-tyin-rem

  • Amélie Fondevilla (LFS developer)
  • Antonio Vazquez (Developer)
  • Daniel Martinez Lara
  • Falk David (Blender developer)
  • Nick Fox-Gieg (York University)
  • Samuel Bernou (ADV studio, Python dev)
  • Sietse Brouwer (Developer)
  • Thomas Dinges (Development Coordinator at Blender)


  • Grease Pencil 3.0 development updates
    • Layer group additions
    • Dopesheet support
      • Implicit holds topic
    • Ongoing work on the drawing operator, smoothing, and eraser.
    • community tasks
  • Ghosting System proposal

Meeting Notes

  • Amélie came to Amsterdam to work full-time on Grease Pencil for 2 months.
  • Grease Pencil 3.0 development updates:
    • More work on the layer trees has been done:
  • Thanks to Julian, drag and drop support is coming: GPv3: Layer drag & drop reordering/inserting in layer tree UI
  • Falk: Worked on a proposal to tackle onion skinning, but as a general system for all objects in Blender: Ghosting System proposal, proof-of-concept patch: WIP: Ghosting System
    • Antonio: Any plans to use this for multi-frame editing?
    • Falk: Yes, in fact, the animation module also plans to have ways of “editing” ghost directly.
    • Samuel: Can this both work in local vs. world space?
    • Falk: The system works in world space by default, but allows for each ghost to be transformed. So a “local” option could automatically offset the ghost to the local object space.
  • Amélie: Worked on the initial dopesheet support for GP 3: GPv3: Initial dopesheet support
    • There was a discussion on keyframes with a fixed duration vs. implicit holds (keyframes that are automatically held until the next keyframe). The conclusion is that we will have both options available and use implicit holds by default.
    • Sietse and Antonio agree.
  • Amélie worked on a smoothing (Gaussian blur) algorithm. It will be used for the smoothing operator, the drawing operator and eventually the modifier GPv3 stroke smoothing operator. This is pretty much done. Was tested to behave like the current smoothing modifier.
  • Falk: Committed GPv3: Select circle.
  • Falk and Amélie: Current work is being done on the drawing operator and the eraser. Will be worked on this and next week.
  • Samuel: Is it going to be possible to have render passes or view layer filtering for layer groups?
    • Falk: Not planned for 4.0 but will keep this in mind and have a talk with the rendering team about it. In general, the plan for groups is to have the very basic functionality first (like visibility and locking) and in later releases think about how we can utilize groups in more places.
  • One community task still left : Select similar. Has a higher difficulty than the others.
  • Sietse: Plans to continue work on the segment selection. Will see how things go.

Next Meeting

  • Time/Date: 2023-07-24T14:00:00Z
  • Link: TODO
  • Agenda: