This is a weekly video chat meeting for planning and discussion of Blender Eevee/viewport module development. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on Eevee/viewport in Blender is welcome to join.
For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.
- Google Meet
- Next Meeting: April 17, 2023, 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM Amsterdam Time (Your local time: 2023-04-17T09:30:00Z → 2023-04-17T10:00:00Z)
Blender 3.5 release
- Issues detected when using Intel HD5500 on Windows. Current state is to reproduce it on a developer machine. Most machines we have access to are more modern or use Linux as that platform is more stable when using legacy hardware.
- Hang when rendering Cycles in Viewport on Apple Silicon. (Patch already landed in main)
- Continued work on GI solution.
- EEVEE-Next Irradiance Baking: Due to time constraints it isn’t possible to start implementing a solution that leverage raytracing. So the implementation will try to minimize the amount of changes to the current system while cleaning up the implementation and changing the baking algorithm (#105643 - EEVEE-Next Irradiance Baking - blender - Blender Projects)
- With the rewrite of the light-cache system, it became clear that the current way of storing the light-cache per scene has its limitations. Going forward we would like to separate the actual stored data and the engine lighting representation. This mean the lighting data would be stored per object then loaded by the engine into its own data structure. (#106449 - EEVEE-Next Irradiance Grid Cache per probe - blender - Blender Projects). This is still in design phase as there are other limitations and differences compared to current implementation. This requires more investigations.
- Shadow tagging, Volume rendering. Volume rendering is more difficult than expected
- New Fog implementation based on Eevee Bloom.
- Optimize EEVEE/SSR for Apple Silicon, 20% improvement by using packed data.
- Optimize Texture usage flags in Workbench, Eevee (still in review)
- GPU: Renderdoc Frame Capturing (#105921 - GPU: Renderdoc Frame Capturing - blender - Blender Projects): For better debugging of the current Vulkan backend we needed to be able to use renderdoc with our headless draw tests. In order to get this working we use athe Renderdoc APP-API to check if Blender/Test cases are run inside renderdoc and trigger the capture where needed. This can also be used to limit the capture to specific parts of the code.
- Some tweak still needs to be done to improve the workflow.
- Vulkan: Resource Submission Tracking (#105183 - Vulkan: Resource Submission Tracking - blender - Blender Projects)
- Vulkan: Texture Data Conversions (#105762 - Vulkan: Texture Data Conversions - blender - Blender Projects)
- Vulkan: Clearing Framebuffer + Scissors (#106044 - Vulkan: Clearing Framebuffer + Scissors - blender - Blender Projects)