Meeting time: 15:00-16 CET (Your local time: 2023-02-21T14:00:00Z)
- Jacques Lucke
- Dalai Felinto
- Hans Goudey
- Simon Thommes
- Iliya Katueshenock
- Brady Johnston
- Falk David
- Joshua Kanode
Since the Last Meeting
- New Edges to Face Groups node
- Viewport drag and drop for geometry nodes
- Smooth normals in Distribute Points on Faces node
- New option to hide node group inputs in modifier
- Add operator to wrap modifier’s node group
- Remove “normal” attribute
- Curves Sculpt mode
- New cage overlay
- Comb curve parameter falloff
- Initial collision support
- Curves Edit Mode
- Out of experimental
- Various selection and transform tools
- Delete operator
- Performance improvements
- Hair node groups
- Quick Fur
- Lukas Tönne joins the project from Amsterdam starting March 1st, 2023.
- Module page for Geometry Nodes vs Nodes & Physics.
- The difference between the two modules isn’t helping in practice anymore, since the developers are the same.
- The future plans for physics mostly involve geometry nodes anyway
- What to do with the chat channel?
- Moving to the nodes and physics module channel seems like the right thing to do
- No objections! The meeting is now the “Nodes and Physics Module Meeting” rather than “Geometry nodes sub-module”
- Geometry to Instances
- Use-case from Molecular Nodes
- This was talked about in the past, it seems to keep coming up. We discussed whether to use a geometry list in the past, though that doesn’t have clear benefits yet
- “Split” in the name makes sense
- The node should have a selection input
- Domain dropdown
- Initial planning for Blender 3.6 LTS.
- Simulation Nodes
- The branch was just updated from the latest main
- Node Group Operators
- This is a foundation for a lot of future design and features, so maybe better to start it sooner
- Node Group usability tasks
- Enum socket
- Custom warnings and errors
- Panels / Sub-panels
- Dynamic UI changes
- Surface choice for inputs in modifiers
- Attribute Paint/Edit
- The “set attribute” operator from meshes could support curves too, that’s a simple starting place
- Proper overlays for edge domain attributes would be helpful
- Simulation Nodes
- Blocking design tasks for potential 3.6 plan:
- Simulation nodes MVP features
- Node group operators meta-data
- Simulation nodes quality of life features
- Attribute editing use-case/initial design
- Custom warnings
Patch Review & Decision Time
- Store Named Attribute can lead to un-active attributes (UV or color).
- If it is only the first attribute which is created, it should be set as active.
- 3.6 Sprints
- During bcon1 and bcon2 there will be 2-week long sprints.
- The sprint planning will happen on the Mondays prior to the module meeting, and presented during the meeting.
- First sprint will start next week to leave this week for 3.5 bcon3 bugfixing.
- This will be a one week sprint then, tasks will be planned next Monday (February 27th).
- Hair node group documentation
- Dalai will do the first pass by collecting the node group description and socket tooltips into the manual.
The next meeting will be on Tuesday March 07, 15:00-16 CET (Your local time: 2023-03-07T14:00:00Z), which is 2 weeks from this meeting. The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #geometry-nodes channel before the meeting.