2023-01-10 Geometry Nodes sub-module meeting

The meeting will be open for anyone interested in joining the video call (link below).

Meeting time: 15:00-16 CEST (Your local time: 2023-01-10T14:00:00Z

Links

Present

• Bruno Chartier
  • Dalai Felinto
  • Falk David
  • Hans Goudey
  • Iliya Katueshenock
  • Jacques Lucque

Since the Last Meeting

• Performance improvements
  • UV is now a generic attribute

General Discussion

• Lukas Tonne joins the team in Amsterdam starting in March.
  • 3.5 Targets
    • Simulation Nodes wonā€™t be ready in time for Blender 3.5.
    • The focus now switched to the other 3.5 targets such as curves and hair.
    • New task for the development of nodes for procedural hair.
  • Grease Pencil
    • Falk shares the current state of the design of Grease Pencil 3.0
    • It will split Annotation and Grease Pencil objects.
    • In the future it could use Geometry object to implement frames.

Patch Review & Decision Time

• The new surface-like volume will follow other DCCsā€™ name: Volume SDF.
  • Geometry Notes / Curve to Mesh: Miter joints / constant thickness D16829
    • Patch has some build problems at the moment.
    • Avoid the term ā€œUseā€ for checkboxes
    • ā€œMiter Joinsā€ is a bit convoluted term. Although they are welcome in the toolip and/or the user manual we could use a simpler term.
    • Suggestion 1: ā€œPreserve Thicknessā€
    • Suggestion 2: ā€œConstant Thicknessā€

Follow Up

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Tuesday January 24, 15:00-16 CEST (Your local time: 2023-01-24T14:00:00Z), which is 2 weeks from this meeting. The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #geometry-nodes channel before the meeting.

9 Likes

Miter joints will be a godsend for arc-viz, carpentryā€¦ <3

Out of these two I would prefer ā€œConstant Thicknessā€ but given the similar functionality in the Solidify modifier, would ā€œEven Thicknessā€ be more familiar and consistent?

Custom node builders tend to name their Extrude Mesh versions ā€œSolidify Evenā€ as well. People use the word ā€œ(un)evenā€ when talking about the current Curve to Mesh behaviour on StackExchange and on BA. Inset operator also has the ā€œOffset Evenā€ optionā€¦

4 Likes

Well noted in regard to the solidify modifier. I think ā€œEven Thicknessā€ can work as well.

3 Likes

In case I missed something,
There is a ā€œSimulationsā€ branch of Blender already available right now. As far as I am aware it only introduces Simulation In/out nodes, which, basically, store the previous frameā€™s data.

Why could not it land in master branch without any other nodes necessary for proper simulations?
I think, having those two new nodes will make a huge deal of a new feature in 3.5.

Could you please shed more light on decision making on postponing simulations for later versions of Blender?

Thank you!

1 Like

Not one of the devs, but as I understand it itā€™s simply a matter of it not being stable yet.

1 Like

The cache system couldnā€™t get ready on time. That and some unforeseen refactor work lead the team to post-pone it. This way we can focus on the other tasks for 3.5, as oppose to have nothing new there.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply!
Fingers crossed for simulations in Blender 3.5+

1 Like

Thanks Dalai and team for your welcome during my first meeting!

Glad if I can be helpful with something, starting with curve-to-mesh!

@kuboa, thanks for the feedback and the BA links too that I had not seen! I will take a look to confirm the approach in D16829

Just for reference, here are the different terms used on the ~20 reports on stackexchange about the curve extrusion:

• deformed
  • weird creases
  • uneven
  • inconsistent
  • shrunk corners
  • weird corners

Desired result terms:

• nice corners
  • continuous width
  • sharp corners

Bottom line, even/uneven indeed came back a few times so ā€œEven Thicknessā€ sound good to me.

5 Likes

@BlenderBruno
Hello Bruno any everybody,
Iā€™m very SORRY but I couldnā€™t contact you in any other way about your osx build from this thread:

Yes, if you could re-share it it would be fantastic. I apologize for late answer but ā€˜replyā€™ button disappeared after my last reply and it seems that there is no way I can send you direct message.
Thank you and sorry for posting in this thread but I thought it would be more rude first to ask you and then not answer at all.

no worry! Well I canā€™t reply to my own thread either. Looks like someone locked it for some reason. I was able to modify my last post though.

Anyway here is the file: Blender v3.5.0 alpha D16829 Even Tchickness Macos Intel