This is a weekly video chat meeting for planning and discussion of Blender Eevee/viewport module development. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on Eevee/viewport in Blender is welcome to join.
For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.
- Google Meet
- Next Meeting: January 9, 2023, 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM Amsterdam Time (Your local time: 2023-01-09T10:30:00Z → 2023-01-09T11:00:00Z)
- Implemented variable size blur. (⚙ D16762 Realtime Compositor: Implement variable size blur)
- Implemented Streaks Glare node. (⚙ D16789 Realtime Compositor: Implement Streaks Glare node)
- Looked into another approach for implementing the Fog Glow Glare method.
Continued the work on Workbench Next Stencil Shadows:
- Most CPU-side computations have been moved to the GPU (DRW_drawdata is no longer used):
- Shadow volume culling is now more precise (using an extruded frustum) and has been moved to the GPU.
- The code for the Stencil method selection (Pass or Fail) has been simplified and moved to the GPU as well. (There’s one remaining issue to be fixed when the Fail method is selected directly on the CPU side (ie. when the object is transparent or non-manifold))
- Extrude distance is now computed directly in the Vertex Shader.
- Stencil Shadows and In Front rendering have been updated so they work well together.
Vector/matrix data structures
- CPP data structure patch; some discussion about the design process. During the design process the Core module wasn’t included. Patch description has been updated to include more context of the patch.
- Start refactoring GLSL library to match BLI math (codestyle, patterns etc)
- Metal cleanup patches and tweaks
- Default textures and binding validation where the binding options don’t match.
- Some work-arounds might have issues, that will be looked in.
- GPU: Select GPU Backend from Preferences (⚙ D16774 GPU: Select GPU Backend from Preferences.)
- Via user preferences the GPU backend can be switched.
- By default OpenGL, changing require a restart of Blender. When Metal cannot be initialized, will fallback to OpenGL
- Still requires a note that metal is experimental.
- Based on feedback from community we can still hide it behind a experimental flag.
- Developers can build with vulkan GLSL to SpirV compiler validation enabled. (⚙ D16610 GPU: Compile vulkan shaders to Spir-V binaries.)
- MoltenVK isn’t added to libs yet. It will be added as a convenience for developers to have a single platform that can validate all GPU backends at once. Vulkan on macOs isn’t planned to be an official supported platform.
- Still one issue to be added.