2022-11-15 Geometry Nodes sub-module meeting

Meeting time: 15:00 CEST (Your local time: 2022-11-15T14:00:00Z).

Links

Present

• Brady Johnston
  • Chris Clyne
  • Dalai Felinto
  • Daniel Bystedt
  • Eric
  • Erindale Woodford
  • Hans Goudey
  • Iliya Katueshenock
  • Jacques Luckes
  • Jarrett Johnson
  • Lukas Tönne
  • Martijn Versteegh
  • Miro Horvath
  • Wannes Malfait
  • Zhen Dai

Since the Last Meeting

General Discussion

• Jacques presented module planning for Blender 3.5
    • Detailed list (to be moved to tasks)
    • Main Targets
      • Simulation
        • It needs cache on disk and in memory to be handled as well.
      • Procedural hair nodes (and groups)
        • Fully destructive workflow for now.
        • “Edit Geometry” node to mix procedural and destructive pipelines for later.
        • Targets nodes still need to be validated.
      • Import nodes
        • Miro mentions using drag and drop to add a file to a node network.
        • A point cloud format would be helpful as well. Alembic supports point clouds.
        • There is still uncertainty about what formats would be supported in the long term, so for now the goal is not to extensively support all formats, but to focus on the well established interchangeable formats:
          • CSV
          • Alembic
      • Attribute editing in mesh edit mode
        • This wouldn’t apply to curves yet, since the legacy curve type doesn’t support attributes and the new curves don’t have a proper edit mode quite yet.
      • Reorganizing the add menu
      • Field context Inspection
    • Bonus Targets
      • Dynamic Socket Types
      • Spreadsheet Editing
      • Capture Attribute Gesture
      • Comments

Patch Review & Decision Time

Follow Up

• Hair (call for help from artists to validate procedural hair nodes)
    • Find right low level nodes for efficient hair interpolation.
    • Build node groups the encapsulate high level behavior like Clumping.
    • Daniel will organize a meeting for that (if you are interested let him know).

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Tuesday November 29, 15:00-16 CEST (Your local time: 2022-11-29T14:00:00Z), which is 2 weeks from this meeting. The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #geometry-nodes channel before the meeting.

10 Likes

I’m not an artist (for at least the last year I’ve been writing code longer than doing something in blender :slight_smile: ) but I have something to say about hair interpolation.
I see this as related to the mathematical problem of knot analysis, since often the hairs are not parallel straight.
But if we consider a group of nodes close to the roots as an extruded polygon, then I had an add-on describing the use of this concept.

Example

Initially, this was conceived as an extension of control over the final shape for those who are at odds with the comb.
But interpolation in full 3d space also gives chances for interpolation.

Full math 3d space advantage

I’m not saying that you can correctly interpolate the hair in the general case, since it’s a bunch of curves with different, both quantitative and qualitative parameters. But if this variant can help…

I’m not sure what this might look like in production (because I haven’t experimented with implementing this in nodes yet), so it’s more of a possible concept.

1 Like

So happy to see Simulations on the agenda :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like