The meeting will be open for everybody interested to join on Google Meet (link below).
Present: Amélie Fondevilla, Bassam Kurdali, Beorn Leonard, Christian, Jeremy Bot, Kevin Burke, Nate Rupsis, OmeletoTheEgg, Sybren Stüvel, Thibault de Villèle
People present are referred to by first name for brevity. Others are referred to by full name.
- Google Meet
- A&R Module Meetings agenda for inclusion in your own calendar
- Previous and next meeting notes
- #animation-module chat channel
Since the Last Meeting / Announcements
- Commit access has been granted to:
- Next week Blender will be at SIGGRAPH in Vancouver. To see more info about where & when, check the announcement on blender.org. Sybren will be there too.
T96787: Edit mode normalize fails to respect non deforming groups or locked groups
- Assigned to Nate Rupsis.
- Nate: Is half done already, it now respects locking groups. It still accounts for non-deforming groups, though. The other half is evolving, and has been split up into T100187: Edit mode normalize lacks option to only normalize deformed bones. The work that’s been done can be reviewed as separate patch, to keep things simple.
T100051: Design: Animation Editors UI Redesign
- Kevin got push-back from the UI team, in a way that blocked further progress. Wasn’t an inviting back-and-forth that allows moving forward, but rather a big “no” after a long time of silence. The feedback wasn’t really actionable.
- Beorn: this proposal seems to address long-standing UX friction he’s experienced for years as animator.
- Nate: in light of the upcoming workshop, which will probably result in some considerable UI/UX changes, this is something that will keep coming up.
- Sybren wrote a comment on the task, to invite the UI team to collaborate more & provide more actionable feedback.
- In the week before the Blender Conference, there will be two workshops at Blender HQ: Animation & Rigging, and User Interface. This could be a great opportunity to collaborate and define a proper Animation UI overhaul for Blender 4.0. This was actually suggested by Ton.
Patch Review & Decision Time
T100115: Shape Key mode of Dopesheet should show evaluation time
- Found by Sebastian Parborg, filed by Sybren. Needs some decision on priority, since it looks like this has been a bit weird since Blender 2.5
- Bassam: Geometry Nodes could replace shape keys. It wouldn’t do interpolation in all situations, but it does allow moving vertices around. It worked amazingly, there was no “weirdness”.
- Considering the other open tasks, this one is considered low priority. Sybren marked it as “known issue”.
D14960: Animation: Add redo panel to Dopesheet and NLA and D14977: Animation: Fix operator properties for redo panel
- Ready to land code-wise.
Sybren would feel more comfortable landing the changes after some animators actually tried out the changes. Test builds can be downloaded from buildbot branch
- Can be landed.
D9477: Smooth Implementation
- Christian Lendenfeld didn’t have time to keep working on Blender things due to changes in his personal life. This might be a nice patch for anyone to pick up & finalise.
Thibault asks about the process of updating the Blender manual, as he wants to document the changes he’s coding. All applaud.
- The manual is managed from Developer Portal - developer.blender.org
Amelie: won’t be able to land T100093: Regression: Can’t select graph editor channels and grouping them together crashes Blender due to holidays.
Sybren has landed the patch in the
- Sybren has landed the patch in the
NOTE: The would-be-next meeting will be skipped due to the summer holidays.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 1 September, 18:00-19 CEST (Your local time: 2022-09-01T16:00:00Z). Again it will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.