The meeting will be open for everybody interested to join on Google Meet (link below).
People present are referred to by first name for brevity. Others are referred to by full name.
- Google Meet
- A&R Module Meetings agenda for inclusion in your own calendar
- Previous and next meeting notes
- #animation-module chat channel
- New faces:
- Guillermo Chan. Friend of Daniel. Blenderhead before 2010, worked little bit on Sintel. Located in Canada, founded Broken Pencil Studio. Uses only Blender for all 3D work. Team of 9 people.
- Wayde Moss is back! He’ll join next meeting.
- Blender 3.1 released with lots of Animation & Rigging improvements: Reference/Release Notes/3.1/Animation Rigging - Blender Developer Wiki
- Rolled back D13687: Use other frame range for motion paths instead of 1-250, Colin Marmont is working on a fix.
- Martin Grabarski is interested in helping to add animation support to the pose library. He mailed bf-committers about this.
- Beorn: his studio made an Animation Library addon, will be published soon. Could be used as basis for further work. He’ll demo in one of the future meetings.
T81836: Design: New Graph Editor Key Manipulation Operators
- Ongoing work by Christoph Lendenfeld.
- D9376: Blend To Default Value Implementation has been approved, will land in master soon.
- Demeter would love to see the slider available to Python operators.
T95001: Parent behaviour: Parent to Object without Inverse needs an option to keep transform
- Up for grabs.
- Brad Clark and Wayde Moss are both focused on general NLA improvements. Not a single task, but a point of focus anyway.
Should the chain length of IK constraints be animatable (reference: T96203, T82267)? This is a non-trivial task, as currently the dependency graph relations need to rebuild when the chain length changes. Such a rebuild shouldn’t happen on a frame change.
- Could be approximated by having two IK chains, with animated influence.
- Not worth revamping the dependency graph.
- Sybren triggered build for testing & video/screenshots, will appear at Blender Builds - blender.org
Removing old (Blender 2.93 and older) pose library
- T93405 and T93406.
- Remove the old Pose Library panel from the Properties editor.
- Add a panel to the new pose library (in the Asset Browser), with conversion button only when there are actually old-style poselib datablocks.
- Conversion could be done on file-load, but it can be heavy (because of screenshots), and it’s better to not make such big changes automatically.
- Beorn: dislikes the demo, it makes it too simple to accidentally change the in/out.
- Not entirely sure what would be good gyzmos to have in these editors.
- Module agrees the patch is non-invasive enough to accept.
- Module thinks it’s a great feature. Just needs some code changes.
Daniel: for “Normalize Vertex Groups” operator, can we enable the “deforming bones only” option by default? T95038: Change defaults for Normalize All Vertex Groups operator
- Demeter: might be technically tricky, because that option is sometimes available, sometimes not, depending on the context (whether deforming bones are present or not). A single default value might not work in all cases.
- Module agrees his proposal is good, just needs to check how it would work without deforming bones.
- Demeter can test.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 31 March, 18:00 CET/Amsterdam time. Again it will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.