2021-05-03 Geometry Nodes sub-Module Meeting

Attending: Dalai Felinto, Hans Goudey, Jacques Lucke, Pablo Vazquez, Simon Thommes.

Links

Agenda

  • Finalize planning for the next phase of the project
    • There is no clear benefit yet to structure the work as a project or as a continuous module.
    • For now the work will be spread during the weeks as module work.
  • Sprint planning

Design Discussions

  • Switch editor label
    • Change label to False / True
    • Change default to geometry
    • Feature request by Simon:
      • Have a generic input with type being determined when an input is plugged. [needs task]
      • Deemed too hard to do at the moment.
  • Materials in Geometry Nodes.
    • Jacques will update the Material Assign node in D11155 to take a face mask instead of a material index as input.
  • Materials in Geometry Nodes.
  • Attribute Transfer node design beyond the initial version.
    • “Ray Cast” as a separate node (Jacques to create a community task).
    • Remove destination option once we have the attribute rename node.
      • Attribute Rename node (Hans will do it this week in 10min OR add to product backlog).
    • Multi-input string input (Needs design task)
  • Multi string (temporary name, i.e., “String List”)
    • The current solution for multi-input string such as in the Attribute removal is still confusing.
      • It mixes single string lookup and and multi-input.
      • There is no way to have multiple strings each using the search lookup.
    • New multi-string output.
    • Need nodes to create multi-string from all attributes.
    • Need node to create multi-string from individual strings.
    • Need node to remove strings from multi string.
  • Node transform edge panning patch
    • Needs to be slower (at least at higher ui scale)
  • Separate Components node - handling of instances
    • Create patch that includes an “Instances” output
    • The instance output would be optional, off by default
  • Collection/Object socket defaults (persistent dependency)
    • Expose default of collection/object group inputs.
  • Texture socket
    • Create a patch for the texture and material sockets.

Next planning meeting: 2021-05-10 at 14:00 CEST on geometry-nodes on blender.chat.

2 Likes