2.93 LTS suggestion; No new modeling/rigging tools, make editmode/OSD fast instead

Look at where you have to take it that you call “poor behavior” to say “this is abandoned” and that I have to retract. That is not a behavior, it is an expression that anyone can say and hear without problems.

What you get is to prove my point. There will always be an excuse to be offended.

I somewhat feel you are not getting what i’m trying to tell you, I am explaining that the reason you are once more in a conflict situation is the choice of words you use, no one is asking you to retract anything, what I’m trying to convince you of is to choose better phrasing in the future to avoid this situation, which i am seemingly not very successful at.

7 Likes

I don’t feel like poly modeling even getting that much attention.
Like what did we get in 2.92? Primitive Add… well great for fast blocking out, but I would say that we needed ability to edit those primitives after adding them which also was constantly suggested over the years.
UV tools been ignored since 2.79… literally not “usable” without add-ons that add not tools, but just simple UI…

4 Likes

Great. Just to note, I am aware that 60 FPS on a million polygons is not going to come right away and it would be foolish of me to expect that. Simply getting to 2.79 level (in both editmode and subsurf as per the original goal) will be enough to start with (as it eliminates the last remaining regressions from 2.7x).

9 Likes

You guys need to update this then:

bild

3 Likes

This thread may be relevant there.

3 Likes

We really need improvements here. 2.8 was released well over a year ago. Promises were made, I was looking forward to 2.93 and now I feel very down because of this. I don’t want to make anyone feel gulty but I need to rant my frustration in this topic.

I’ve been struggling to keep myself focused at work because of performance. I work fulltime at an outsource studio as hard surface artist and I need to be able to model with efficiency. However every time I have to find workarounds to whatever modelling operation I need to do due to performance.
In some cases I have to split the scene in different files and copy paste mesh from one to the other just to do basic editing and it becomes just an incredible mess.

Editing anything with sub-d unless it’s a simple geometry piece it’s basically impossible.

Something I always found entertaining, challenging and fun now it’s just a complete pain to do affront. Everyday, 8h a day.

Also, everyone at some point has to use the modeling tools blender has to offer, doesn’t matter if he is doing animation, modeling, sculpting, compositing etc. Everyone has to use it as some point. This is affecting all the users, not just the modellers.

Nobody can deny that you guys are doing an incredible job. But please, I beg you to re-evaluate priorities. There’s a thread on Blenderartist with over 1600 replies going on from 2018! It’s been almost 3 years since this issue was reported with little to no progress on it!

Edit mode performance is an absolute critical issue that need to be resolved asap. Please, don’t delay it any further.

25 Likes

Without a doubt, performance struggles should be dealt with rather sooner than later. It would allow wider acceptance of blender in lots of industries.

4 Likes

Sorry correct me if I’m wrong, because I might have missed it. No performance patch is planned for 2.93 and I’m cool with it. But is there ANY toughts at least on 3.0?

Don’t want to be repetitive with spam and whine, but today it’s been an especially harsh day. Trying to hit tight deadlines with these performance is… stressfull. I’d like to know if someone has some info as I might have to revert back to 2.79 or even find other alternatives for the sake of my mental sanity.

8 Likes

I didn’t read the whole thread, sorry if I’m repeating or missing something here.

Just wanted to add that performance has become quite a bottleneck in my workflow as well. I agree with what has been said: the work that has been done so far by the devs is huge and remarkable with all the new features added.
Unfortunately, it gets frustrating when it comes to dealing with the edit mode performance even more so considering how much Blender now has to offer.

More often than not, I end up resorting to C4D for heavy tasks, and C4D is not exactly the fastest 3d software.

Performance is undoubtedly the keyword that comes up every time Blender is mentioned in other 3d apps forums: it seems almost everyone now agree on how much Blender has advanced and gained over the past few years though they always mention the one thing that’s keeping them from adapting Blender to their pipeline, that is performance.

I hope there’s still room to allocate some resources in this area.

13 Likes

It’s very often the unflashy features that make the flashy ones really shine. Performance and quality of life. When sorting by “Top” on RightClickSelect the majority of feature wishes aren’t super obscure things. Most of them are things that improve basic and very frequently used tools or workflows.
This was also why the papercuts initiative for 2.80 gained so much traction, I think. Frustration arises from things that go wrong or are unpractical in workflows which need to be done over and over again. These things become apparent throughout the whole work experience the whole day long.

There are two reasons to come back to a software each and every day:

1. There either is no alternative for some reason or another (de facto standard in the industry, unparalleled tool sets or performance)
  2. There are compareable alternatives but it it just the f’in best to use and the users love to open it up again every day.

Ideally a mixture or ballance of both :smiley:

4 Likes

Is it me or has edit mode performance gotten far, far worse? I’ve been using Zbrush exclusively for the last 6 months and have just returned to Blender for my current project and the perf is absolutely diabolical. Much worse than before. I’m using 2.93, and what’s more, the machine I’m using is much more powerful than the one I was using last time I worked in Blender.

What is going on? Even on a simple mesh with a Bevel mod and 2 levels of subdiv and only 64K verts(when subdivided) the whole thing is bogging down adjusting the bevel width.

2.8 has been a wonderful experience for me, having switched from almost 20 years of 3dsMax, I couldn’t imagine going back to model in Max because I LOVE Blender’s workflow, but wow, the terrible performance in Edit Mode(which has obviously been there since I started using the program 18 months ago) is so frustrating, considering it’s such an important aspect of any 3D program. I realise it takes time/resources/etc and understand, but surely it should be a top priority at this stage? Even chatting among pro artists from Maya/Max they ALWAYS, ALWAYS raise the issue of the poor perf in Blender. The fact that it’s actually gotten worse(from my example/experience above) is quite worrying because before I could cope and keep working, but now… it’s bringing me back to 3dsMax level perf from 15 years ago.

7 Likes

Reading the commit logs and the developer site, I couldn’t help but notice how in the case of geometry nodes, performance is being seen as a priority.

All we are asking is that this also becomes a focus when it comes to editmode and OpenSubDiv. We know you guys are more than capable of bringing performance up to and beyond the industry standard. Having high performance in the node system is great, but remember to also give attention to what is usually the bread and butter of a DCC app.

16 Likes

I open 2.79 every once in a while, and I am actually amazed at the snappiness of everything, from moving around in the viewport to editing a mesh. And 2.79 wasn’t the snappiest of the bunch either, so would like to chime in an extra voice for the huge importance of performance improvements in the viewport.

11 Likes

Since devs decided to shift priorities and did not give any time estimation regarding addressing the issue, I’m thinking if it might be possible to kickstart a crow founded project (between us artists) to hire an external developer to address this issue.

Is this a valuable option?

3 Likes

You are free to do it if you think it’s worth it but honestly, given the complexity of the task, good luck finding a developer that has this kind of skill and that hasn’t already been hired by another company.
With that said, i agree that performance is a very critical issue right now and even as a very casual user i have had to put up wit it so I can imagine it is much worse for professionals.
Maybe the switch to Vulkan will help a bit?

1 Like

Since every change in the code needs an approval from the developers it is simply a waste of time to make any patch even moderately complicated.

• There are no knowledgeable developers
  • It costs a lot of money
  • There is little chance that the code will be reviewed and approved.

It has always been a long debate how this kind of “patreons” could be run and in the end the only clear thing is that only the foundation can organize that or a single investor with money and good friends with the developers.

… or fork it and most likely be responsible for maintenance on every new update you want to use (since there won’t be many people willing or able to help with deeper optimizations, I guess.
Or have the funded developer in question get in touch wit the Core Devs if you plan on developing this patch for the main branch, I guess.

Or better yet - get in touch with the module team/owner directly before trying to start a funding campaign and ask what the recommended approach would be in that case.
I assume @dfelinto might be able to answer this question most directly.

Can’t Patreon Members like Facebook and Epic require that their money goes into certain aspects of development?
If that is the case, couldn´t a bunch of smaller users finance a developer to work for the Foundation but for a certain area of development?

I remember reading somewhere that a couple years ago a company/or someone specifically gave Blender money to develop a module in blender or to further develop it . . . i think it was the Blender game engine.

Which blender dropped as we all know