Wrong libs on windows for 3.2 beta

I am attempting to compile Blender 3.2 beta so I can do some development with the new Light Groups feature however I cannot successfully compile. At the end of the compilation I get error The command "setlocal

"C:\Program Files\CMake\bin\cmake.exe" -DBUILD_TYPE=$(Configuration) -P cmake_install.cmake
if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :cmEnd
:cmEnd
endlocal & call :cmErrorLevel %errorlevel% & goto :cmDone
:cmErrorLevel
exit /b %1
:cmDone
if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :VCEnd" exited with code1.

I have experienced this same error before when I was building 3.1 and was grabbing the wrong lib (master from branch). To fix that, I did executed the command svn co bf-blender - Revision 62919: /tags/blender-3.1-release/lib/win64_vc15.

However, when from github.com I download the zip of 1) the master and then do make update to get libs or 2) from github.com the 3.2 branch and do svn co bf-blender - Revision 62919: /tags/blender-3.2-release/lib/win64_vc15 to get the branch libs ---- the error does not clear up. I have also tried the 3.1 branch libs but same thing.

I cannot start my work since I cannot get a working compiled version of 3.2 to use Light Groups. All I have working is 3.1 which doesnt have the feature. What should I do? On bf-blender - Revision 62919: /tags the only options are 3.1 release and 3.2 release and like I said, I have tried both of them.

The error you posted is just the final one in the end saying “somewhere along the way something went wrong” the actual error is somewhere higher up in your build log. please provide the full log and i’ll take a peek.

I cannot start my work since I cannot get a working compiled version of 3.2 to use Light Groups. All I have working is 3.1 which doesnt have the feature. What should I do? On bf-blender - Revision 62919: /tags the only options are 3.1 release and 3.2 release and like I said, I have tried both of them.

I suggest following our building wiki and building master first before doing exotic things like switching libs and branches.

I have only one error, though. As I detail in the paragraph below I get the same error with the 3.2 branch and the master. This is what it looks like. If there is a second location for a log file that gets generated from VS, I don’t know where it is. Do you know where it is? Because I cannot find it.

When I build with make (without VS) I get basically the same error (Error during install phase) in the command prompt

I have the same issue when building master and following all the steps in the wiki.

I do

1. git clone (much slower for me) or download zip from github directly (much faster)
  2. download libs from svn like previously described with either make update or svn co
  3. turn into a repo with github desktop
  4. make full nobuild → build INSTALL in VS … or make

now, this works successfully on the 3.1 version of my project but does not work with master like the wiki describes. What happens is in the bin/$CONFIG directory I dont get all the files copied over from the Lib such as tbb_debug.dll and openvdb_d.dll python310_d.dll etc making blender unable to start. In the version that does work (3.1), these files are present.

This is the result of the command svn info on the master lib

You’re gonna have to focus here, you’re going in all directions here making it VERY difficult to help

What i want to you to do, and to the letter (no improvising) is :

mkdir c:\blender-git
cd C:\blender-git
git clone git://git.blender.org/blender.git
cd C:\blender-git\blender
make update
cd C:\blender-git\blender
make

This should have you end up with a functional master build, if you receive errors along the way, stop and ask for help, do not continue with errors!

This works in principle, but I don’t understand why I can’t clone and compile the 3.2 beta branch against the 3.2 release svn libs and now I’m stuck with a newer version - your steps built 3.3.0 Alpha - which in my experience, has been historically less stable compared to older builds

doesn’t matter, do you have a working master build now yes or no?

if yes, run

git checkout blender-v3.2-release
make update
make

if no go back and get a working master build first

1 Like