What happened to Scrambling Distance? It´s been used in Theory and it will help speed up rendering

Well this is for me one of those cases where there are no winners.
I switch between the two renders and can’t tell which is better: some details are better in one, some in the other. If I watch them with a pause of 10 seconds I couldn’t tell what is what.

Wich one?

Because the one that uses SD is 8 minutes vs 10 minutes, so there is a winner regarding render time :slight_smile:
And related to Dithered Sobol, in the zoom in of the BMW render you can see the main point I also notices, since the noise patter is more uniform there the denoiser “clouds” effect is much less percetible or is not present at all, you can see how uniform is the DS one vs the Sobol one, the denoised picture with DS is much more clean and defined, even the out of focus part.

So I see clear winners in those two cases :slight_smile:

That’s not flickering, it’s just noise. In the second video the noise is almost like in regular sobol when you disable animate seed. Not a pleasant effect unless you eventually denoise everything

While that may be true, with Dithered Sobol the denoised version would look much much better than the Sobol one, because of the reasons you can see in the BMW tests :slight_smile:

The point was exactly this. First two images in my previous message are practically identical visually, both have 1024 samples, but first image was rendered after 12 minutes and second one after 9 minutes - 33% faster. This is very huge difference. For some scenes (especially with toon shading or very simple lighting) speed up can be many more times greater than this.

It just like clamping, denoising, branched path tracing and other tricks - if used right and when appropriate, these tools can make noticeable difference in render time without introducing noticeable artifacts.

No, it is very different from regular Sobol with disabled animated seed. Regular Sobol has a lot of low frequency noise, and will need more samples just for that reason alone, with or without animated seed.

By the way, high frequency noise in Dithered Sobol is also much better. For example, compare these 3 images denoised with Radius = 1. Small denoising radius helps to preserve details and eliminate fireflies, and in this case it also will help to see the difference between regular and Dithered Sobol. Three images rendered at 128 samples.

Screenshot%202018-12-31%2000%3A04%3A05Screenshot%202018-12-31%2000%3A03%3A47Screenshot%202018-12-31%2000%3A11%3A49

Image 1: denoised, regular Sobol, Scrambling Distance = 1.0 (disabled)
Image 2: denoised, Dithered Sobol, Scrambling Distance = 1.0 (disabled)
Image 3: denoised, Dithered Sobol, Scrambling Distance = 0.1 (enabled)

Needless to say, Dithered Sobol will converge faster even if Scrambling Distance not used (and therefore less samples will be needed to render the scene). However, if Scrambling Distance set to 0.1, the scene will render 30% faster the same amount of samples without noticeable artifacts, and also samples will have less noise (so even less samples will be needed for final render).

All three images are crops from my own interior scene rendered at 1080p resolution.

The only source of light in the room is the window with portal behind it. This demonstrates that both Dithered Sobol and Scrambling Distance are useful in production scenes.

4 Likes

I’m just playing the Devil’s advocate role here :wink:
Why don’t you share some of your knowledge here to make this feature appetizing for more and more people???
For example here you showed a result but didn’t tell how to obtain it

Hi,
do you have a diff of your build on graphicall to test?

I´m sorry, nope.

That was not built by me, I was given the build by a friend, so I cannot point you towards the required patches.

I hope we can have both things in master soon, now it all depends on @lukasstockner97 and/or @brecht , but I´m pretty sure they are super busy, I hope they can find a blind spot to integrate this :slight_smile:

Well, if your friend did the work of updating the patch, it would help a lot. The feature is already controversial, if you then await that the work is done twice…

About a week ago I have posted here updated patches for Scrambling Distance and Dithered Sobol for current master (Blender 2.80).

There is also a Linux build with Scrambling Distance and Dithered Sobol.

1 Like

@brecht already said that he was going to implement them as soon as he had some time, so no controversy here I think, or if @lukasstockner97 wanted he could update the patch, the build is pretty old so I don´t know if the patches were updated or not, and in the end, I don´t know what the patches are, but, as @Dragon.Studio said, he updated the patches for 2.8, I did not remember that post, that is why I did not tell you, but now all is solved :slight_smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for the Linux build and the diff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those are some pretty nice examples :smiley:

1 Like

@brecht @lukasstockner97 how is this going?

I know that you are super busy, but this could be a great thing to add during beta, so people is more conscious of it and things can change faster :slight_smile: (also it will help a lot in Spring… I´m´sure about that XD and it will help us in archviz too… I´m´also sure about that hehe)

Cheers!

1 Like

@JuanGea It’s planned for Q2 of 2019 if i interpret this right:

2 Likes

Good :slight_smile:

It´s a pity not having it right now… but it´s logical since there is a ton of work over the devs for the Beta :slight_smile:

Thanks for the heads up @SimonStorl-Schulke !!

Hey, any chance that someone can make new linux build with current newest 2.8?

Oh, I didn’t saw this question, you can find our build in graphicall, both for windows and linux, the linux build is published by @NiCapp so thank him :slight_smile:

Is Scrambling Distance ever going to make it into Blender?

I see it’s for advanced users but it would only be available after you change Sampling Pattern to “Dithered Sobol” and even then you still have to lower the Scrambling Distance from 1.00 for it to have any effect.

I would love to use it on my scenes to get that 15-35% speedup.

@brecht has it under his scope, to review and test it, last time he tested it he was not too convinced, but he tested it without dithered sobol, and that’s where the result is the best, so will see what he thinks about it, or if he has another option to properly accelerate Blender, because in the end what scramble distance in BoneMaster or other custom builds does is to “break” the render and introduce A LOT of bias :slight_smile:

BTW you can use it with BoneMaster without a problem :slight_smile:

4 Likes