VSE and Sound state / future

@pistolario Shotcut now has an equalizer using horizontal sliders: Shotcut - New Version 22.01: Equalizers

Thank you for the piece of news. I’ve seen the screenshot and I think that they are going with something similar to my last idea: split the graphical equalizer in three curves. One for low freq, one for middle freq, and one for high frequencies.
I’ve been working with the backend and It has been more difficult than I expected, with some compilation problems, but I think that I have achieved a state that let me work in this feature.

2 Likes

Hello,
I’ve been developing a first working version of the graphical sound equalizer.
To show you the result, here I attatch a video in Youtube, with sound, to see and listen to the result.

Now the explanation:

• 3 graphical EQ (ranges based on other products: 0-500, 500-5000, 5000-24000)
  • Each sound strip can have its own graphical EQ
  • You can create, modify, update,… But you cannot load or save (I’ve not started it, and it could depend on the version of the file to read / write)

With this result we can see that it is possible a very simple sound editing. The underlying library, Audaspace, is very capable but a little overwhelming :wink:

6 Likes

This looks and sounds fantastic!!! I’m so happy to see that you’re still powering through this stuff. And it is also very cool with the very first audio modifier!
I hope @iss and @neXyon still follow this thread?

If you want to have the EQs side by side, when the sidebar is wide enough, look at the grid flow function used in space_sequencer.py for the color wheels:
grid_flow

2 Likes

Thanks for you usability suggestion. It’s simple and useful.

I think that I have reached a point where I need to get in touch with blender developers in order to get something useful included in blender product. I’ll try in blender.chat.

1 Like

I’ve created a patch:

https://developer.blender.org/D14412

I’ve tried the flow column showed by @tintwotin , but i dowesn’t work with color curves. is it an error?

Yes, it seems like the curve UI is lacking a fixed width, which would allow it to jump into the row above. I’m sorry, I didn’t know that. Prefixing the flow column value to 3 would make them side by side, but that won’t work with the default sidebar width.

The patch has reached “feature complete” status, including load and save.

https://developer.blender.org/D14412

Did you see my comment in the vse chat?

I’ve fixed the problem with some audios (actually with more than one channel audios), and applied improvements in GUI, suggested by you.

4 Likes

Hi, after looking for the work team on the VSE and the audio topic, i am very interested to give suggestions, and participate to this topic.
I have been involved with Audaspace during the last 15 years… and it was always in my mind that we can use it in so many ways, including audio treatments (as much as the memory will support it (i have some experience of limitations).

About the EQ, we have here many options:

• tri-bands (fixed freqs*) with gain (what i see here in your proposal)
  • Single parametric band (very used in studio mastering)
  • up to 12 bands (fixed freqs)
  • tri-bands parametric (most common type)
  • etc…

i would like to give some infos about the fixed bands EQ in case of tri-bands selection:

• 20Hrz > 500Hrz (-15/+15db)
  • 200Hrz > 5kHrz (-15/+15db)
  • 800Hrz > 20kHrz (-15/+15db)
    As well as the gain for that frequencies range, we should have a Q (curve shape for each band), i didnt try with audaspace if the Q will be a constant value, but we can look at.

Anyway, let me know if you are interested in that specifications, i am available this year and i have plenty of other audio treatments to implement.
Saludos :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Marcos, nice to see your comment on various audio treatments.
years ago, i did many scripts to includes “musical” features in blender exploring the audaspace lib. from playing notes, playing files, and treatments (audio fx).
Now we are talking about serious implementations, i suppose we must care a lot about how this sort of audio work will be done in the GUI.

My position in this sens is to provide to the user a set of tools in 2 categories:

• basic (main audio mixer, eq, filter (compresor/limiter) and levels)
  • advanced (vst3 plugins, audio nodes)

so, what i try to say here, is that in a large view of audio system, it should offer the features needed for video editing as well as for music editing alone (yes, including sound generators and nodal studio interface)

please, let me know if you have some meeting about this topic, where we can look at the next phase and what we can work on.
thx, have a nice day

2 Likes

@Uriel_Deveaud As it seems like the BF devs are welcoming the EQ modifier patch, a first-up could be to help @pistolario out getting the patch ready to be committed.
@neXyon has pointed out challenges with the patch out here: ⚙ D14412 Graphical sound equalizer
And in the VSE chat: blender.chat @iss and pistolario are discussing it further.

As for planning and implementing additional audio features, it’s important to first ensure with @sergey and @fsiddi that the features are actually welcome, and secondly discuss with neXyon and ISS the best strategies for the implementations. Since the EQ is the first audio modifier, maybe adding more audio modifiers would be the next natural step?

You could also consider joining the audio module(headed by neXyon(PM him in the chat))? https://developer.blender.org/tag/audio/

thanks for your reply, understood !
i still not have contact with @pistolario but i will try to get more info on this patch.
Also, i have a couple of question regarding the future of Audaspace, trying to get in touch with @neXyon for years :smile:
Well, i will try my best to support this dev, as my priority is to help bringing Audio modifiers as its top level.
i would say that many of my students are very interested to work audio files within their favorite 3d software. i just wondering if modifiers can be one day, added in nodes editors, as many DAW today provide nodes setups… which i found very practical too.
Well, lets go step by step… see what we can do with Marcos.

I am very happy to see this coming inside Blender.
EQ and reverberation (reverb) are the most audio effects I used when edit videos audio. Before, I used to render individually each audio in the sequencer and edit them inside FL STUDIO.

So why FL STUDIO ?
In Blender my workflow is always like this :
Start with VSE → other editors → End with VSE.
The only thing that make me exit blender is the audio editing. And FL STUDIO make me fill like I am still in Blender.
Do you know that FL STUDIO has an audio effect editor that look like BLENDER GEO-NODE editor. It is called “PATCHER”.

PATCHER:
At opening it it has exactly 2 default input and output node group like Blender Geo-node. And you could add EQ , reverb , Echo Amplifier etc inside as nodes.

Why Am I talking about it here?
Well, what could I give as answer? Mmm! Oh yeah the answer is : EVERYTHING NODE.
That is the Blender Target and that is what we expect from Blender developers.

My concern with this new EQ is how could I assign the EQ setting of a given audio Strip to another audio Strip?

Bashadam

1 Like

For the visual modifiers, the modifiers of the active strip can be copied to the selected strips. To keep consistency, this could also be implemented for audio modifiers down the road.

2 Likes

It makes sense for consistency.

Hi, i am looking at the implementation of this EQ within the audio standards.
Audio_compositing_nodes

I dont have anything against a modifier, but people who use to edit audio, EQs in this situation, will look at nodes first, as a compositing nodetree.
Of course, this is not without consequencies, because it needs an input audio clip to be added, and an output (file / mix)… but after all, in the sens of “all nodes”, i suppose this option is a step forward.

Anyway, i can try to look at a basic nodes setup (input > gain > output) before going for more advanced audio treatments, Eq is one.
I dont know exactly what the BF has accepted as an audio upgrade, but why not checking here that both, modifiers and nodes and coexist.
thx

4 Likes

Hello,
I’m very glad to see that there is interest and activity related to sound in Blender.

The good and bad news are: as I have written @iss and @sergey , I have understood that the both agree that Blender could have some extra audio features, but not too many. I would say that they prefer that most audio tasks would be done mainly in an audio application, and use Blender- VSE features as last touchs. Sergey insisted in the UI/UX to be well defined.

So, the challenge or task would to:

• define a short list of useful features (from the most to less)
  • define their UI/UX

I am a noob in Blender source code, but with my work in the last months I’ve seen that audio is integrated in a very different way to the rest of modules in Blender, which makes it a little difficult to add something. It shares the problems with the “strips” not been ID blocks (@tintwotin has talked about this several times) but with the extra problem of dealing with Audaspace integration.

For example, what I thought as a very simple patch to show the samplerate and channels of a sound strip, it is becoming something really complex because of these odities.

Are we in time to involve this in GSoC 2022?

3 Likes

This will be great to have sound effects like node.
While blender developers won’t to have many audio effects inside blender, we user want have a great experience with the little number of effect they accept.

Here is a list of my wish effects:

• EQ
  • REVERB
  • DELAY
  • COMPRESSOR

@pistolario If someone can help you implement them as a node please let him do it please.