Tiled EXR / texture caching support?

I don’t know but I guess not. He developed a full blown texture cache solution for CPU rendering and I hope he will find time and motivation to develop this further so it can be integrated into master. But no info on that at all on my side.

We will have to wait for him to maybe answer this thread. Fingers crossed :wink:

6 Likes

I was looking at this with interest I noticed that it is not merged with the new cycles-x master which could be a lot of work as there has been significant changes. Is work still continuing on this? If it is I will certainly try to get it considered :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You’d need to ask @StefanW for further info.

I hope that this will be developed further and one day be merged in master, too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hope I can find the time to continue this work. Merging this with Cycles-X is a bit of work, but not impossible.

18 Likes

This would catapult rendering in Blender to the next level :heart_eyes:

1 Like

That would be amazing, and a big step for Blender.

Did you find any solutions regarding the gpu support of this feature ?

1 Like

Nvidia has some sample code in their latest Optix SDK that should help, it implements at least parts of what’s necessary. I have not tried it out yet, I only saw the documentation for it. Getting this to work on GPUs from other vendors will be the real challenge after that.

11 Likes

Well, this is still fantastic news. We are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel :wink:

Thanks a lot Stefan, hope you can find some time to work on this.

1 Like

On the other vendor side AMD has HIP which is similar to CUDA by design and those code paths are now very similar in Blender 3.0. In fact the CUDA/HIP path should be similar to the CPU version. Ideally we want all these vendors to use essentially the same or similar code.

3 Likes

Late to the party, but hoping that there is some progress on the GPU side of texture caching support. This type of progression feels in line with the Blender 3.X/Cycles X direction of optimizing Blender/Cycles for production work if you can get texture caching on GPU functional (fully acknowledging the technical task I imagine is involved so I know we’ll have to have patience as other priorities exist). The memory savings would certainly benefit all users, especially those who have smaller GPU’s in the 4-8GB range where saving a few GB’s on textures is a huge deal. Major kudos to @StefanW for even keeping this on his radar to the extent that he can.

8 Likes

Hey @StefanW - is this still being worked on? I couldn’t find this in the new development system, so am curious about the state of affairs.

4 Likes