The 'NURBS' acronym incorrectly presented in Blender 2.80 UI as 'Nurbs'

PROBLEM
In the Add Curve and Add Surface menus, the acronym NURBS is presented as Nurbs, as if it were a capitalised noun.

• Blender is the only mainstream 3D app that incorrectly displays the acronym NURBS as Nurbs.
  • No other acronyms are misrepresented this way in the Blender UI (that I’ve seen)
  • It just looks amateurish :expressionless:

surface_menu

SOLUTION
Replace all instances of Nurbs with NURBS in the Blender UI :wink:

Cheers!

Pez

Agree entirely since NURBS is an acronym, not a noun (Non-Uniform, Rational B-Spline).

Does Blender’s implementation of NURBS fully allow for discontinuities in the curve definition? Oops, that might cause some comment…

Cheer, Clock. :rofl:

Sure… but this seems a bit pedantic to me (rather than an actual paper cut), given that even if you know what the acronym stands for, chances are you don’t even know what a rational basis spline is. The acronym was useful when there was a possibility for viable math-based modeling alternatives to emerge but that hardly seems likely anymore. A lot of software simply call them ‘surfaces’ now and ditch the acronym nobody understands anyway. If we’re going to get pedantic and lobby for a change, that’s what I would vote for- rename them to something more descriptive of the type of object it is.

2 Likes

Call them what you like, it doesn’t bother me one iota. “Spline Surface” might adequately describe them to differentiate them from flat Tri, Quad or Ngon surfaces.

It’s probably a bit unfair to infer I don’t know what they are, or understand what they can do, as I have worked with them since the mid 1980’s…

Anyway, if Blender is sticking with the Acronym, it really should be written as one, if not use convetional capitalised word format for whatever they decide to change it to.

I refer you to the following Blender 2.80 Reference Manual:

Surfaces
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/surfaces/primitives.html?highlight=nurbs
Curves
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/curves/primitives.html?highlight=nurbs

You can totally argue that I’m being pedantic, but not only is displaying NURBS as Nurbs incorrect, it’s also inconsistent with the official Blender 2.80 documentation.

Again, not saying you’re not right, just questioning whether it qualifies as a papercut. Or maybe it is, just saying it’s probably more of a clearly defined bug that should just be logged :slight_smile:

In this case I was using the understood ‘you’, not you specifically. I wouldn’t presume to know what you did or did not know.

I think that it is too harsh to call this an error or bug or papercut. It is matter of style preference.

Some style guides and writers prefer to write acronyms that people pronounce as words with an initial capital and lowercase after that. See here for a discussion of some style guides that use that rule. I personally pronounce Nurbs like a word, and I prefer the style that uses that rather than NURBS just because it appears less like shouting. No-one can actually protest that they don’t know what one is referring to if one spells Nurbs rather than NURBS.

I will agree that Blender’s documentation and code is inconsistent on this point so if there is anything to be fixed, it would be to choose a style and stick to it consistently.

”…if there is anything to be fixed, it would be to choose a style and stick to it consistently.”

I couldn’t agree more, and as the correct presentation of the acronym is all capitalised, as NURBS, and as this is also presented correctly in the official Blender 2.80 documentation as NURBS, it would make sense for the Blender 2.80 application to follow suite.

Paper Cuts, for the purposes of this forum are defined as “very small UI annoyances”

That’s all this is to me - nothing more or less. It couldn’t meaningfully be defined as a “bug”, as that would suggest that correcting it would somehow have an impact on the performance of the software, which it wouldn’t.

1 Like

If we go back many years, complex curves where drawn using wooden “splines” of known deformation properties. These were kept in place by “ducks” to maintain the curve profile while the draughtsman drew along them. They where eventually replaced (by the time I worked in a drawing office) by “French Curves”, fixed plastic profiles and a curious plastic coated section of lead sheeves that one could bend and it would hold it’s shape.

Pierre Bezier (Renault Designer) was probably the first to define them mathematically, along with work by another at Citroen (I forget his name), Bezier’s name stuck. These curves were refined in mathematical definition over many years to become NURBS as we know them now, the “B” in B-Spline relates to Bezier.

The greatest advance in this technology in CAD (I’m not shouting) allowed us to cut a NURB and for the remaing sections to hold the exact profile of the original, rather than be distorted by the cut. I remember demonstrating this to a prestigeous UK car company in the 1980’s, to prove we had the ability to maintain the original profile of the car side after we cut out the doors.

So much for history, all-capitalised words now seem to infer shouting, rather than “this is an acronym” and I suppose we must blame social media for that since there was no other way for people to shout via a computer screen. In my younger days we were told to write insults and sarcastic remarks in Latin so as to annoy our recipients even more, far more effective than shouting.

So, given all that, maybe we should refer to them as generally; Splines, specifically; Spline Surfaces, Spline Curves, etc. to maintain the consistency of the interface. Then to describe them in detail in the documentation as perhaps “These objects are built as Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines, hereafter NURBS”. I suspect most user won’t be concerned with what they are, only that they can do the job they want them to do, for example, model the hull of a yatch.

I agree with the comments that this is not a bug, but an inconsistency between interface and documentation and a departure from the correct use of acronyms and should be seen as just that, however annoying it is to those of us brought up in days long gone, where spelling, punctuation, grammar and composition were seen as much more important than they are today, so many people split infinitives these days!

There, old man’s rant over, I shall go back to my pipe and slippers!

Cheers, Clock. :cocktail:

1 Like

I think that the term CAD, today is a conventional term that has remained the same, but that it is wrong, because all types of 3D modeling are Computer Aided Design and in time the worlds mixed together … so I think it is more appropriate to call this specific field as it is trying to do here: Precision Modeling.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, that is what I and others are trying to do now, we just need more support and the attention of the developers to build these functions into Blender.

Cheers, Clock.