Suggestions on topic for Master’s Thesis on Blender

Interesting, but not really my cup of tea. For a thesis I would be more interested in Blender, but for personal use I might look into it, thanks!

1 Like

Rather than necessarily making it about an improvement to Blender, you could still use Blender as the implementation test bed for just about any topic in CS. Something in data structures with an application in Blender, some topic in Rendering where you use Cycles say as the system to implement the idea in (lots of papers out there as someone mentioned), or just about anything you can drive from Python (Machine Learning, or any other Big Data topic) which you could then generate interesting visualizations of using Blender’s Python API, etc.

Maybe you can have a look at making cycles a spectral renderer there was a thread about it here

That makes sense, though I’m a bit unsure whether that would be an interesting thesis from a more practical point of view.

However, there is a possibility of me having the thesis in a company, and the company I’m currently working for is investigating using Blender for server side rendering. Maybe I can join the two of them together :slight_smile:

I have never heard anything like that, though I am curious. I’ll look into it later today and let you know what I think, thank you!

There was a Google summer of code about improving Cycles and eevee for procedural content creation:

Check this out, buddy!

1 Like

I’m the person who worked on a spectral version of Cycles. I’m more than happy to have a chat with you about my findings and discuss some technical details about it if it is the sort of thing you’re interested in. The engine implementation is one aspect but then there is the other aspect of ‘how do you present a spectral rendering workflow to users in a friendly and effective way?’ Both are interesting and complex problems.

4 Likes

Interesting, I’ll look into it later! Thank you for the suggestion!

2 Likes

I think there are other more suitable “research platforms” for rendering, but it could be an interesting thing to look in to.

I’ve been seeing some more about Spectral Rendering, and it is a fascinating subject, so fascinating in fact that I already took note on my personal list of possible suggestions!

Thank you once again :smile:

3 Likes

Hi there, I only say your comments now! Is there an already functioning version of a Spectral implementation on Cycles?

Hi, I have a branch of 2.79 which was mostly functioning, except for volumes and I think a few light types. Although the visual benefit is very small if you cannot somehow define spectral colours. That’s the biggest issue I ran into, the work in converting the engine is one thing, the harder task is to expose spectral data to the user in an easy to use way.

I’ll see if I can dig up my branch.

Thank you for the quick replies! I’m still at work now, and I have not even began preparing a thesis, I’m just looking at my options :slight_smile:

I found my work, I could either send you a diff file or publish a branch somewhere. Just let me know if you decide to pursue this. I’d love to see it get some more attention and looking back at the work that I did in 1 week (thanks git log) I’d say it is certainly achievable.

1 Like

Well, I would love something that I could finish from beginning to end! I am moderately freaking out if I’m being fully honest :slight_smile: If I do end up pursuing this, I’ll let you know so I can look at your work with more attention. Even if I decide I won’t do this, I’ll still give you a heads up so as to not leave you hanging!

If someone else has any more suggestions, I’d love to hear what you think!

1 Like

Sounds good :slight_smile: I wish you luck whatever you choose to pursue!

1 Like

Many thanks! :smiley:

Hmm… Maybe it would be a good idea to have a chat with @sybren? He’s a blender dev and has a PhD in computer science, so maybe he could give you some tips?

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer, I’ll contact him tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

How about advanced retargeting, or implicit skinning?

1 Like