Serial Loops [Proposal]

So we can’t use for example different seed for each iteration?

We can. I think, you just need to distribute points not on a points from previous step…

aghh, true :roll_eyes:, I am a fool.

I thinks is almost stupid because you can add more density with a scene time but not in the serial loops or sim zone… is really bad…

You make the same error as in message above.
Distribute points on Group Input geometry, not on points from previous step.

1 Like

Huh ? Show me pls i don’t understand

Try this

It works but i really don’t know why is so complicated like this…

Distribute Points on Faces produce points only. Original mesh going be exist only on first step.

As modmoderVAAAA says. In the first step you generate points. You pass those points through to the next step. Which are then the geometry input into ‘distribute points on faces’. But there are only points and no faces, so nothing is distributed.

Furthermore I know you are probably just experimenting with loops but… for what you are trying to do you don’t need a loop? Just distribute 10 times as many points in one go instead of looping 10 steps an adding 1/10th of the points in each?

3 Likes

If i want animating something is could be an idea pass by simulation zone or/and repeat zone… you know with condition you can make an infitnite thing :sweat_smile:

You can very easily make infinite generation with a simulation zone, why use a repeat zone for this?

1 Like

I can’t speak for the above use case, but there are plenty of situations where developing a solution over many frames isn’t appropriate or helpful.

For example, if I want to take a string input and compare each character against an alphabetical list of 26 characters to get the index, then use that to both populate some instances from a collection and get an associated value from another string with 26 values to set custom per-character width…I haven’t found a way to do this efficiently with existing options in Geometry Nodes. It’s literally hundreds of nodes, when any kind of basic for loop and data array handling (I’m using string position as a hacky workaround for now) would make it pretty trivial.

This wouldn’t work in a simulation layer because the results need to be usable throughout the timeline, not just at the end.

1 Like