Sculpt Mode feedback

A first alpha version of Jeremy Hu’s new Autoremesher tool has been released. Jeremy is the developer of Dust3D, an accessible modeling tool that recently received an Epic Megagrant.

Autoremesher is based on open source auto-remeshers like Quadriflow, but includes some optimizations.

@pablodp606, you might want to keep an eye on this project. As it’s open source, it might be a very interesting upgrade of Blender’s Quadriflow.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this was already mention but hide in sculpt mode its inverted from everywhere else,
everywhere in blender H hide the selected/highlighted and Shift+H hide everything but the selected, in sculpt mode its the other way around is there any reason to this? or its just a choice

1 Like

You can read the entire face sets story here: ⚙ D6070 Sculpt Face Sets and all your questions will be answered. :open_book:

1 Like

I think users would benefit a lot from matcaps with more contrast. It makes the sculpt much more clear and brings out the details better in my opinion. You guys can try out my custom matcap if you like (just a png, but it still works well).

5 Likes

Quick UI Related Feedback for Sculpting:
The “Edit Voxel Size” grid (default Shift + R) seems to be a hidden shortcut, not accessible anywhere unless you know about it.
I had to reload an older keymap which apparently eliminated the default shortcut (Shift + R) and had I not know about it I would have completely missed it. Also I had to search very specific to find out how to re-enable it on a shortcut again ‘object.voxel_size_edit’).

Also does not seem to be mentioned in the documentation:
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/meshes/retopology.html

Is this deliberate?
I thought Blender wanted to eliminate undocumented things?
It should be accessible through the UI somehow to assign a shortcut to it without needing to know about the command or that the feature even exists.

1 Like

If somebody redo defaut matcaps, please provide them as .exr to handle separate Specular Lighting.

As far as I understand, it will be reworked and then added after all. It’s just postponed.

@ThinkingPolygons The system says you mention me, but I can’t see crap? :thinking:

LOL yeah, my post was removed (again) unfortunately. Things are tough around here, we can’t talk about the real world anymore. :zipper_mouth_face:

I’ll PM you. :wink:

When executing “Set Persistent Base” from Layer Brush, it remains even if the brush is temporarily modified. If “Set Persistent Base” is executed from Cloth Brush, it does not act on Layer Brush. I think “Set Persistent Base” might be common between Layer and Cloth brushes.
I hope the attached video clarifies it better.

4 Likes

Autoremesher is improving with each version. I really hope a Blender dev picks it up to upgrade Quadriflow.

3 Likes

I did a little test. I hope @pablodp606 is reading along. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I hope that the Add Primitives tool that was recently added to Blender will get ported over to Sculpt Mode to help fix a problem a lot of sculptors have with Blender sculpting. Having to switch modes to add a cube or a a sphere to get a more efficient workflow isn’t really very work effecient.

Also, while we are on the topic of Add Primitives, I want to see the tool get boolean support now when the boolean redesign is on its way. It would be an incredibly powerful way of adding a workflow that has previously only been possible with add-ons like HardOps and BoxCutter. Having that in Object Mode, Edit Mode, and Sculpt Mode would be incredible.

2 Likes

I’m not convinced about supporting brushes that add new geometry in sculpt mode. The reason is, modifying the mesh requires a SCULPT_UNDO_GEOMETRY update, which rebuilds the PBVH and discards all cached data. It is basically the same as doing a remesh or going in and out of sculpt mode. This may not be a problem for adding a single sphere in a low poly mesh, but if we want to support more advanced features like adding geometry in all steps of a stroke or working with high poly meshes and multires, this won’t work.
Object Mode does not need to update any mesh data when you add a new object. You can create brushes that add instances in each stroke step and it won’t lag regardless of the poly count of the target object because it does not need to rebuild anything when the operator starts.

The only reasons I see for adding this to sculpt mode are using the stroke symmetry options and being able to have the geometry automatically joined, and both of these options can be supported in object mode as soon symmetry options will be part of the mesh datablock.

5 Likes

All right, fair enough. However, it still doesn’t change that there is a demand for this feature. I don’t know how bad the performance would be, but there are add-ons out there that have added this feature like this one:

Wouldn’t a decent enough compromise be that you design the tool for Sculpt Mode in a way that after X amount of geometry is created, the tool warns the user about slowdowns? It would also help if you have optimisation tools available like a destructive decimate tool that reduces polycount while retaining most of the form to help speed things up. Unless you possibly have some other solution down the line that could help solve the performance issue?

Either way, I think it would be a mistake not to have some form of primitives tool available.

3 Likes

A few days ago I wanted to darken and tone the cavities of a model by color vertex, and it was not possible, the final one I made a texture bake of the Ambient Occlusion.
I think adding the auto-masking options that I show in the image for the mesh and color filters could be very useful, even for conventional brushes.

Automask

1 Like

I’m not convinced about supporting brushes that add new geometry in sculpt mode. The reason is, modifying the mesh requires a SCULPT_UNDO_GEOMETRY update, which rebuilds the PBVH and discards all cached data. It is basically the same as doing a remesh or going in and out of sculpt mode.

Would VDM Brush be in your plan then ? I’m not sure if they need to add geometry to the base mesh, or they just deform the geometry already here when you use them. It’s quite easy to bake Vector Displacement texture… Only thing missing is a brush

5 Likes

A brush that create new geometry not, but a sculpt brush that create new objects?

Insert “primitive” brushes are actually meant to be used with a “voxel” remesh workflow, not with meshes with subdivisions/multires etc… That’s why they are very useful and fast to work with…
No point on trying to make it work with multires etc…

Also along those lines, be able to duplicate a mesh inside the sculpt mode would speed up the sculpting workflow a LOT (again, in a mesh without subdivisions of course)… :wink:

7 Likes

A promising new version of the open source Autoremesher auto-retopology tool will be released soon.

5 Likes