Repository Update - rebase unknown option using --recursive

Hi all, hope things Blend well.

I’ve just tried to update my repository since the new version 2.8 has been released (had a pull from one of the earlier RCs), and got an error with:

git submodule foreach --recursive git pull --rebase origin master

It enters the blender-translations-submodule and updates those, and then gives me an error:

error: unknown option 'rebase'

usage: git submodule--helper foreach [--quiet] [--recursive] [--] <command>
-q, --quiet Suppress output of entering each submodule command
--recursive Recurse into nested submodules
fatal: run_command returned non-zero status while recursing in the nested submodules of release/datafiles/locale

If I run it again it reports that Already up to date. and that my Current branch master is up to date., but still gives the --rebase error for --recursive…

I’m just starting with git and not sure if I have the full code in place for learning.

Thanks
Neil

p.s. there were no errors with git pull --rebase which I ran prior to the above, in case you’re curious.

Which git version do you have, perhaps an old or very new one?

I’m running git 2.2.0. I’ve tried via the cmd prompt in VSCode and directly in git bash. The same thing happens in both.

I noticed an additional line at the bottom that I might have overlooked (not sure if it was there before):
fatal: run_command returned non-zero status while recursing in the nested submodules of release/datafiles/locale if that provides any clues?

Thanks

Not sure if it helps or what the right command would be but in the windows helper make.bat we call

git submodule foreach git pull --rebase origin master

while your command has and extra --recursive in there

git submodule foreach --recursive git pull --rebase origin master

Maybe we should update the wiki then? Because it’s still listed with the --recursive option there:
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Tools/Git

1 Like

Removed --recursive from that wiki page now.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks!

“Current branch master is up to date.”