Rendering multi-layer .exr files will not obey file path in Output node?

Hi,

Ran into the above, and I’m considering this a bug for now.

When I render a Output node to multi-layer .exr, Blender will not look at the folder path as set in the node.
The renders will end up in the folder path set in the Preferences : File Paths > Render > Render Output path.
Regular .exr files will render into the correct folder as set in that Output node.

This happens with 2.80 and 2.81, even when a clean set of user and scene settings.

Also, when switching from .exr to multi-layer.exr, all inputs set on the node will revert back to image, image1, image2 etc, despite them being renamed at first.It would be preferable that they ‘stick’.

thanks,

rob

p.s. Hope this is the correct place for logging this one.

Could you please share a screenshot of the file output node with its settings? What you’re trying to do works fine for me, I can’t reproduce this bug.

Well, it’s nothing special.

Two View Layers, Two Render Layers and Output nodes.
One is ‘regular’ .exr, the other is multi-layer. exr.

Properties Panel : Output Properties > Output Path is not set. File format is set to .exr
Preferences : File Paths > Render > Render Output path is set to V:\Renders

If it works work you, than I’m not sure why it fails here. Image is a basic test setup.

rob

Just tried it, works fine here using latest build. This is the setup:

and this happens after I rendered the animation:

sc02

Just to be sure:

• you are rendering the animation, not just one frame? (Ctrl+F12 instead of F12)
  • you are not accidentally overwriting the file output nodes with the Composite node (paths are different)

I’m getting a bit confused with Blender’s path location for renders. Settings would add, not override even when not set.

But yes, I’m rendering a sequence, not a frame. And not sure what you mean with the Composite node output? There’s no output for a Composite node.

Settings in preferences and scene:
Preferences : File Paths > Render > Render Output path is set to V:\Renders
Properties Panel : Output Properties > Output Path is kept empty.
Output nodes are set to subfolders of V:\Renders : V:\Renders\Monkey and V:\Renders\NoMonkey.

This results in a properly named .exr sequence in the wrong V:\Render folder for the Monkey Output, and a properly named NoMonkey .exr sequence in the correct V:\Renders\NoMonkey.

Now, if I set the Properties Panel : Output Properties > Output Path to V:\Render as well, this will still render in the wrong V:\Renders folder, now with multiple files:
One .exr sequence with just the framenumbers as a name, one accompanying .jpg sequence, and one correct.exr sequence with the label name.
The Nomonkey sequence is again rendered to the proper subfolder.

Lastly, in the Properties Panel : Output Properties, the ‘Overwrite’ checkbox is turned on, and the ’ Composite’ checkbox is off.

And setting relative paths for the Output nodes doesn’t seem to work either.

Cheers for the patience!

Output nodes are set to subfolders of V:\Renders : V:\Renders\Monkey and V:\Renders\NoMonkey.

Caution, when rendering to Multilayer OpenEXR, the properties in the file output node inherit a different meaning. Setting that output path to V:\Renders\Monkey will then create a file Monkey0001.exr in V:\Renders, because with MultiLayer EXR the last section of the path becomes the filename! With any other filetype it would be the folder name. The various output slots then become EXR channels, with other file types they would be file names. I think this is where the confusion comes from. It is also the reason why the slot names change when you change the file type. The meaning is different.

In other words, if you plan to render those MultiLayer files into a folder called V:\Renders\Monkey, the path would need to read V:\Renders\Monkey\myOutputFileName.

1 Like

Ah… I see.
If you do that for a regular exr or file format it indeed will create another subfolder, that’s probably why I was confused about this.
It’s not the most logical step, as most 3D apps/renderers will treat both the same equally regarding creation anf folder location.

And because there’s no mentioning of this in the manual, this will trip up other people as well in the future. :wink:
Especially because exr files are different anyway from other formats, it might be nice to have the documentation extended with your explanations on the formats and output naming for rendering.

Will have to start automating some of this to avoid them in the future.

Thanks for your replies!

rob

I headache with this for all day long finding out why it is not outputting the render file.
Also other rule is the name of the layer must be CryptoObject00-02to make it work with AE not sure with others programs, this method work with single frame or animation render.