Rendered View starts incredibly slow

I don’t understand how you don’t see a problem in creating a bunch of external files to be used in the scene (something that can be done with linked instanced collections) but you have a problem creating instanced collections and use them linked?

BTW, I don’t understand why are you so aggressive about this, I’m not trying to turn a bug into a feature, instancing is broken, that’s clear, I’m just trying to explain how instanced collection behaves and how similar to vray or corona proxys they are, you don’t need to have 3 million collections, you can have a .blend with collections to be instanced and instead of having 1 file per type of object you can have 1 file with all the collections to be instanced and do the linked instances.

I’m not trying to attack you or to defend that “instancing is not broken”, instancing is broken right now and no one will argue that, but Instanced Collections work in a very similar way to Vray Proxys or Corona Proxys, and it was an answer to this:

“Even if it was, creating one collection per each object you need to instance would be such a bad workflow it would not even be a feasible workaround.”

If you think creating a file per object to be instanced is a bad workflow then you may think that Vray Proxys or Corona Proxys have a bad workflow, if you don’t think those proxys have a bad workflow, then you can have the exact same workflow with instanced collections, except instead of having the need to 20 files for 20 objects you just need 1 file with 20 collections to be instanced.

BTW Proxys are intended to improve display performance, and the first version of MR Proxys (I think Vray proxys too) were not able to display the proxy as a point cloud, they were able to show just the bounding box, exactly the same done with Bounds and instanced collections.

Could be cool to have a “point cloud” display type that could be cheaper in the viewport? YES! I wish we could have that, and maybe it’s easy for @fclem to implement something like this among the available options for viewport display.

But do the instanced collections accomplish the same target as proxys? yes, they do, they can improve viewport performance AND reduce memory footprint A LOT in render time.

Is a bad workflow to have the same collections you want to instance in the same scene where you want to instance them? I think so, that is why we organize our objects in a different .blend and link the instanced collections from there, having a similar workflo than Vray/Corona Proxys.

Can they be improved? Without a doubt, but we need overrides for this, for example to be able to offset the animation timeline for each instanced collection.

Are they the same as object instances? not at all.

Are object instances broken? Yes

Should they be fixed? No… well yes of course… I was just joking LOL!

Cheers.

There, that’s why I am so “aggressive” about it. The whole thread would not have to be derailed if you acknowledged this at the beginning. You do that in other threads too, derail them with nonsense, like not knowing difference between mechanism of proxies and instanced collections.

It’s a bug, a serious one, and needs to be fixed. Downplaying its importance doesn’t serve any good purpose.

OK, then be happy being agressive.

I don’t think I derail anything, I talk about things, you were not understanding how instanced collections work, and you are mixing two different concepts:

• Object Instancing

• Instanced Collections (dupliGroups)

I never said that Object Instancing is not broken, but you did not understood that instanced collections are a totally different thing than instanced objects, you were doing some criticism about instanced collections that made non sense.

PLease check the post where I answer you and I say:

“Yes, totally agree.
What I don’t know if it’s performance would be the same as Collection Instance.”

So if that “YES, I TOTALLY AGREE” is not saying that you are right about the bug and about that the bug it’s a deal breaker, then I don’t know what you want.

Then you mixed concepts again, you defended that Instanced Collections did not improve viewport performance because they don’t have “point cloud” view mode (which BTW it’s not true, try it by yourself, we have a big scene that was impossible to move without linked instanced collections, and the improvement is present even without the “bounds” view mode)… which was something not present in proxys in their first implementations, and the MAIN target of proxys was not to improve viewport performance, because you were able to get good viewport performance using bounding box as view mode and linked xrefs, the MAIN target was to reduce memory footprint, but stay in your idea, don’t care.

You mixed concepts and did a criticism about instanced collections (dupligroups) workflow without even understanding that they were two different things, you’ve been aggressive even when I gave you the reason and I was, in good faith and good mood, trying to explain how instanced collections were and how similar to proxys were, and ignoring your aggressive behaviour.

Sincerely I’m surprised about your behaviour, but, hey no need to talk to you, I had you in good esteem and I respected you, but after this personal attack you lost my respect, but you probably don’t care, you made it clear, I think I will pass talking to you anymore, please do the same, I’m not here to have fights with anyone, but to discuss positively about blender features, bugs, give user feedback and help people who needs/wants it.

Cheers.

5 Likes

Bug already fixed some days ago.