Regroup editors with same interface

Since Blender will not stop adding features , editors and also the everything node as Target, the number of editors will immensely increase. That’s why I’m proposing this:

Blender must start regrouping editors with the same interface and/ or same purpose.
An example of it already exists with sequencer editors which has 3 windows switcher. Even clip editor has it.

Editors or windows that could be group together :
1- VSE PREVIEW + CLIP EDITOR + IMAGE EDITORS + FOLDER

2- ALL NODE EDITORS

3- ALL TIMELINES + VSE TIMELINE+ GRAPH EDITORS

4- PROPERTY + OUTLINE + PREFERENCE

5- 3D VIEW

See how simple it could be.

hm. I actually have the opposite preference and would prefer the combined editors to be split into different ones.

The list of editors in the picker has more than enough space, so why use a 2 level selection when you can get the one you want in 1 click?

For example the dope sheet and the action editor are very different things, functionally. The grouping suggests they are 2 versions/views of the same thing and it’s imho rather confusing.

1 Like

Are you sure?
Go and try to have an editor with one click. Please , let me tell you that actually it is two click. No wait , it is two click + searching the position of that editors (blender have more than 20 window).

What am proposing here is two click with minimum search time.

Dope sheet and action editors stand both for animation right? So …

1 Like

It actually was like this, around the time 2.8 was released : node editors were all-in-one, UV editor and image editor were together as well. I think it makes sense the way it is now. I’m not sure anything will “immensely increase”. How much do you mean by “immensely” ? twice ? We can maybe expect a physics/particle node editor (unless that happens in the same geonodes editor we have now), and… what else do you expect ?

Will all due respect how does that grouping even remotely make sense ?

5 Likes

OK, granted. 2 clicks.

Action editor is 4 clicks though. First set the editor to ‘dope sheet’ and then set the editor (again) in a different menu to ‘action editor’.

I don’t really like it with the action editor, and I wouldn’t really like it if it worked that way for all editors.

I’m personally not bothered by the searching as I know which one is where. But I do agree the list does look somewhat daunting the first time :wink: