Real-time Compositor: Feedback and discussion

This could offer new ways to work with the back plates and other image references once the scale node is available.

Is there a way or a node that could send my composition output in 3d plane as image plane.

I mean directly composite only my 3d image plane from compositor.

I’m used to do Mr Lan Huber’s method of tracking and keying to put my character in 3d in Space.

This is unlikely to be supported. But you could do the opposite of this workflow, which would essentially involve positioning your planes and using a node like UV Map to map your character on the UV pass masked by the ID masks of the planes. But passes are not yet supported, so you will have to wait a bit for this.

1 Like

now that masking is mentioned, i’ve tried using masks and they’re always changing place relative to the viewport shape even when inside of camera view, is it planned a change to use camera proportions/resolution instead?

1 Like

scale and distort nodes are not yet implemented. I expect that scene scale or camera view will arrive with these nodes.

1 Like

More generally, the plan is to limit the compositing space to the camera if it has opaque camera passepartout. The same goes for border rendering when EEVEE supports it.

8 Likes

I’m testing the Render Layers – they are shown as complete in the node listing, but maybe the render engines need updates.

I made a simple test scene with a sphere and a cube each in their own View Layer. I set the viewport to rendering in Cycles, enabled the viewport compositor, and set the RenderLayers setting to CubeLayer, but the viewport still displays the SphereLayer that is selected in the View Layer dropdown.

Just figuring out if this is the currently expected behavior, and if so what the task is for updating the render engines to send out the correct Render Layer data to the viewport compositor.

Great to see this moving so quickly.

This is expected as multi-layer and multi-pass rendering is not yet supported.
We haven’t started in implementing support for that, but I will make sure to let you know when we do.

5 Likes

Is it possible to use Real-time compositor with OpenCV - streaming video and use RT-Compositor over live input video. Just wondering.

No, the realtime compositor is only used for viewport compositing at the moment.

Excuse me if this has already been answered, I was going to ask if Viewport Compositing is compatible with EEVEE and Cycles or EEVEE only

Thank you in advance for the answer, and for the work you do and the efforts you put in!

It works with any render engine that supports viewport rendering, including Cycles.

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Compositor ideas

One of the real-time compositor to-do’s is:

“Multi-pass compositing. Needs sizable changes in the draw module and render engines.”

Once this is complete, will the backend foundation be laid for light linking or is that a whole other set of challenges?

1 Like

Hey Omar, did you work on the Scale Node already?

Hi, it is ready for review already: ⚙ D15758 Realtime Compositor: Implement scale node

Cheers, mib

2 Likes

As far as I know, light linking will be done at the render engine level, so I am not sure why the compositor would be involved.

are there any latest builds that we can play with? I’m interested in the viewport compositor. Is there a difference between the viewport and real-time compositor?

You should read up the blog post

As a first step, this new back-end will be used to power the Viewport Compositor , a new shading option that applies the result of the Compositor Editor node-tree directly in the 3D Viewport. Artists will not have to wait for a full render to start compositing, allowing for faster and more interactive iterations on one’s projects.

seems to be nothing here