Question, should blender use Eevee or E.E.V.E.E.?

Phys-BRE, good idea!
a blender blends rotating its blades, cycles recalls the rotation concept and physbree is twistedtongue frisbee…
a-hem… back to work now…

I guess cycles gained its name because it’s a, iterative rendering engine, it repeats the same cycle of gathering sample rays and blending into the image. Eevee is not different, it just doesn’t raycast in global space, but it does the same cycle thingy with the viewport accumulation/sampling.

Guys, there is no copyright issue with dissimilar products. That’s why we have Dove chocolates and Dove soap. The two will not be confused.

So unless Nintendo decides they’re going to start making DCC renderers or Blender decides they are going to start making games called Pokemon, I think we’ll be ok.

1 Like

Eevee is perfect imo.

Hmm

I wish they just called it PBR viewport, which it is. It’d be easier to type and everyone would immediately know what it is, instead of having to decipher the name by doing a Google search.

Well pbr viewport is also so much generic that could mean viewport of many other software, how could it be specific for blender new realtime renderer?

Very useful thread…

2 Likes

Arnold Bread
Octane Radio Station
Indigo Farming Supplies
Houdini Pantry
Lux Thermostats

You could seriously make a renderer called “Pizza Hut”. It wouldn’t be copyright infringement unless you also copied their logo or had Blender deliver a hot pizza when you pressed F12.

The entire 3d industry is talking about Eevee. The only way anyone is going to get confused about what Eevee is would be to change the name to something else. The google argument is false. Search for “Eevee” and you get mixed results. Search for anything related to 3d with the name “Eevee” (like “Eevee Shaders,” “Eevee Lighting,” “Blender Eevee,” etc.) and you get valid results. Anyone who types a single word into a search engine expecting to learn anything other than a definition or proper spelling deserves to get mixed results and become confused.

5 Likes

Yeah, but dont you find Eevee a random-ish name for a renderer?

Like Thea render, right? :smile:

By the way, :point_down:

oh, sometimes I forget that this is a blender LOL.

Every viewport renderer is a realtime renderer. Eevee is no different. It’s just better realtime renderer than others, that’s it. But there’s no need to pick weird name for every new Blender feature.

Ok so we better get 2.8 released on December 24th then. :smile:

I think Eevee is meant to be a final render engine, that by the way is quite responsive to be used as a viewport engine (as cycles we could argue). So Eevee is the replacement for Blender Internal renderer.
Afaik the actual ‘real’ viewport engine in 2.80 should be the Workbench engine, and the viewport PBR thing should be its Lookdev flavour

the question here is Nintendo claiming the name as part of their IP…and as you can read above, it was done in recent year 2018…Nintendo is known for terminating any thing related to their prodcuts…they might look away since blender has nothing to do with their products but better becareful than sorry…we’ll hear many video games/protoypes using the term 'made with eevee" when the interactive/game mode is added.

1 Like

This is not going to happen. You’re worried about something that isn’t an issue. There is absolutely zero chance that they would run into problems in North America or Europe. I’m not familiar enough with laws on other continents.

If Nintendo wants to take action despite knowing that they have no legal ground to stand on, they will first send a cease and decist letter which orders Blender to change the name and give them a certain amount of time (usually a week to three months) to change all of references to Eevee in their software, their official documentation and any marketing materials.

Two things about this:

1. As long as Blender foundation complies, there will be no more legal action taken. No fines, no jail time. No ramifications at all. Just the time put into changing the name in the interface and Blender.org.

2. There is a remote chance Nintendo may ignore their lack of legal standing and send a cease and decist anyway knowing that Blender foundation is a non-profit with little interest in paying a lawyer to have the case dismissed. This is the one and only reason that they would take action. If this happens, Blender could either roll over and comply, waste the money on a lawyer or ignore the request and let Nintendo sue. Nintendo WILL lose the case. No doubt about it.

If BF does comply in the incredibly unlikely event that Nintendo sends a letter, Eevee will need a new name. I’d like to recommend McDonald’s or Suburu Impreza.

1 Like

only time will tell then.

I was a little strong in my previous comment, and I’ll say there is a remote chance (very remote) that something may come up, but I feel like it’s more important for Eevee to ride the momentum it has now than to preemptively change the name. If Nintendo does make a fuss it won’t be bad enough initially to harm the Blender Foundation. That is, unless they don’t comply with any requests to change the name.

BF statement: Eevee was picked as a fun name for the PBR viewport project. We couldn’t have thought it would become so popular (as a name). It don’t think it confuses with Nintendo’s brand (entirely different product area). Nor do we compete with Nintendo in any way, or (ab)use their branding to promote our work. All that makes it probably something Nintendo won’t go after.

Obviously we are not going to spend legal money on it. An official Nintendo complaint will be taken seriously. My favourite backup name is to write it as EV (pronounced eevee).

8 Likes