Parallax Occlusion Mapping

Height Blend POM

20 Likes

Is there any chance that POM will be implimented in cycles aswell?

1 Like
1 Like

When update the build? i really love it

1 Like

I’d just like to point out that I used this feature in my recent animation ‘Space: 1959 - A Retro Space Odyssey’. I used it to get the details of the moon to pop out much more effectively than with normal maps.
Link to Blenderartists WIP thread: 'Space: 1959' A Retro Space Odyssey - #5 by Tea_Monster - Animations - Blender Artists Community

YouTube animation: https://youtu.be/wR9Y14Pfw8Q

While learning Blender, I found the lack of Eevee displacement as one if its greatest weaknesses. Users are forced to use costly and limited geometry-based methods, while it would almost come for free using game engine techniques like this.

When I saw @Rui-huang’s impressive artwork I was wondering how the displacement was achieved, as it would be almost impossible in Eevee with the available methods in Blender 3.0.

After being directed to this thread, I am surprised this has been available for a year but not finding its way to the hands of the users. It would be a great addition to Eevee, and a great companion to features like Geometry Nodes.

1 Like

Some things just take time. For 3.2 and ongoing the hope is there for eevee to have it.
You can track the progress here: ⚓ T93220 EEVEE rewrite

2 Likes

Where is the source code for this diff? ive been looking around for the past 6 hours going through all of your links… I cant find anything

From DarkKnight link: ⚙ D9792 [WIP] Eevee: Parallax Occlusion Mapping from Displacement Output, this link was already post from mmoeller in a reply on 29th October 2021. You should read all thread before ask already answer questions.

(S)He tried. But maybe overlooked something? That’s a bit harsh NiCapp.

1 Like

HI, it would be great if POM was seriously implemented into blender!
Illusion of highly detailed geometry, but with low poly.
Best POM workaround I found yet is by Olivier Loftus but it has some limitations in complexe scenes with more than… 1… Model.

1 Like

POM Decal

17 Likes

漂亮!非常酷!
不知速度明显改善提升没有?
Beautiful!
Very cool!
I wonder if the speed has improved significantly.

2 Likes

Any update? Its been a long time

8 Likes

Another couple months is passed! This feature is the only reason I had to take scenes into UE and Unity. Please! Blender’s getting some sponsors lately, I hope this is bumped up in priority for the next release

12 Likes

eevee next and vulkan currently seems to be the proirity so I don’t think we’re gonna see this get further development until thats up and running

AFAIK this was in the plan for Eevee Next, but o viously until Eevee Next is there this won’t be there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wonder…

That lots of time has passed since the first proposal and there is no development interest in this project.

In general terms, we can consider that parallax mapping is a ‘shading hack’ it means that it works only on the “VIEW” side of things and is practically useless in the general context of Blender toolset.

I might consider that the Blender development community favors rock-solid implementations always instead of “clever” hacks, that would act as a foundation and as something that would be multi-useful in the broad side of things.

So actually what we consider what is most important thing here, is not actually to display a parallax occluded surface. But to have a proper and standard way to subdivide it efficiently.

Something like a new adaptive (takes into account: occlusion and view distance) and delauney based (that is able to create uniform triangles resulting in smooth surfaces) subdivision modifier. This is a much better goal to look for.

1 Like

According to developer.blender.org Parallax Occlusion Mapping is in WIP status:

Here is the diff: https://developer.blender.org/D9792

3 Likes

I hope we can use it in cycles too. It is going to be upsetting if it also takes time to be adapted to cycles after its in eevee.

4 Likes