Paint Mode: Design Discussion & Feedback

希望CA属性的显示,可分为CRGBA,五种独立通道显示模式。这样会极大的方便绘制其它浮点属性通道.
I hope that the display of CA attributes can be divided into CRGBA, five independent channel display modes. This will greatly facilitate drawing other floating-point attribute channels.
QQ图片20220512115355

1 Like

Why autoswitch to attribute paint is not good. Also it not reverts mode after switching back to sculpt.
So why it is not symmetrical?
It should be optional, same way as autoperspective (have same big issue!)

5 Likes

Good. What about separate alpha and color editing? or alpha-lock / color-lock?

I agree that the auto-switching of the viewport shading option is not the best design decision and certainly not consistent with the rest of Blender.
But it’s important to keep in mind that this is a temporary solution. It’s to ensure that when you paint in sculpt mode you are guaranteed to see the color attribute that you are painting on, without forcing the color attribute shading on the entire sculpt mode by default.

It’s also good to keep in mind that the sculpt painting tools are not designed to be used for geometry nodes and also not for materials. It’s purely meant for coloring your high poly sculpts in the viewport. Eevee and multires support is also of course planned.

But the toolset will be reused and improved for the upcoming Paint Mode, which should be the mode for material texturing.
Attribute Paint mode is also planned for painting and editing of any attribute, but until that happens, Paint Mode should be used for geometry nodes as well.

2 Likes

In order to handle several active paintings layers from several objects, you have to decide if you modify UI to show them all or continue to show only active layer of active object.

A multi-object painting will be very challenging if painting layers are not of same type.
How would work tools that are behaving differently according to nature of layer, attribute or texture, like masks/selections ? Would multi-object painting be restricted to layers of same type ?
How would work new layer creation ? only for active object or for all objects selected ?
How would work switching to another layer ? Would it be necessary to define a kind of collection of layers through a selection of several objects ?
How would work display in solid flat mode ?
How would work synchronization with Image Editor ?

That is implying a lot of questions.

If a lot of choices made are to keep UI focused on active object ; a way to switch active object similar to transfer mode will probably be inevitable.

2 Likes

Valid questions. It’s definitely a tricky subject. Could be worth exploring though.

I’d start with sculpt or vert colors and see how it goes. Just something to keep in mind, it’s something you can do to some extent in Mari at least. (I know, different concept, not at all how blender works, etc.)

I would find very useful to have an option to disable modifers in Paint Mode - to maintain good performance. It could work the same way like with disabling modifiers in Edit Mode (or with some even more advanced options, like also disabling modifiers on other objects which use this one as target… but I guess that should be a global option, not just for this specific mode).

Can you elaborate on this? The ability to paint masks on a sculpt to control materials is one of the things I’m looking for, this way colors can be edited in a non linear way in the material, directly painting colors is great but having the full power of the shading editor to me is a huge plus over other sculpting programs

I tried to find a semi-procedural sculpting workflow.

• sculpting done on a low-res model.
  • painting on a ‘GN Mask’. Its just an image or a color attribute
  • Object has a Subdivide Modifier, and at least one GN modifier (create rough stone patterns) which acts like a filter.
  • The GN Masks are used as inputs for the GN modifiers.

For rendering, subdivision level could be increased.

Trying this kind of workflow with image based GN masks. Geometry updates after stroke. Laggy, distracting.
But, painting on a color attribute, the Geometry updates immediately! Thank you!

Currently there is a way to disable this switching you (Vyach) describe. It only appears in Solid shading mode. Any other (Wireframe, Material Preview, Rendered) works as expected!

Wouldn’t a simple warning in case you select a color, besides black and white, or with saturation, in case you are not in a mode that displays the color suffices? Perhaps with a button to change? I agree that Blender shouldnt change things automatically, it’s very frustrating when yours are not the intended use case

1 Like

At least, this switching prevents users to be frustrated, because they paint colors they cannot see. But, I feel like you about this jumping-to-attribute viewport shading mode.
I look forward for the more general Attribute painting mode. Till then, I guess, using lookdev/render view could do the job.

1 Like

That’s exactly why a warning should be displayed, what frustrated people is not knowing why something is not working, having a warning on how to fix, and perhaps a fix me button, could aliviarte that, but fighting the system in order to achieve something I believe is much worse frustrating experience

There is no warning needed if mask/selection you paint in paint mode can be stored and used as a float attribute in material.
You will choose to paint a mask instead of a color attribute.

Currently, you can change a color attribute into a float attribute.
There probably should be tools to create a float attribute from a color attribute and keep original attribute.
You can also simply undo your colored stroke and change color of brush before painting.
Default paint brush has white as primary color and black as secondary color.
You can call it BW brush and never change its color.
You can create another paint brush to color.

I think that release of Sculpt Vertex Colors in 3.2 will be very misleading, if they are supposed to disappear in 3.3.
Why allowing to create float attribute, and not allowing painting of attribute of such type in weight paint mode ?
Current situation is confusing users.

2 Likes

@AndreKlingDavid I’m not sure if I understand the question correctly but the idea is that “masks” will be a different concept from masking off areas in sculpt mode. You create masks with attributes or image textures to mix nodes in your material & geometry.
Paint Mode should be more suitable for that workflow.

If the painting toolset will also stay in sculpt mode or completely move over to paint mode is still under discussion but odds are that we’ll keep basic attribute color painting around in sculpt mode too.
The purpose for the new painting tools shouldn’t be confusing. It has a singular purpose:
Paint your sculpts. That’s it.

Of course the new painting tools will be the base line for future improvements and other workflows but we cannot support everything instantly at the same time. It’s best to release what is already working as intended and have the rest follow.

Yes exactly, what confused me was what you mentioned that masks for geometry nodes or materials shouldn’t be done in this mode, this in my opinion don’t make any sense… After all it’s just a channel you use to mask a node, being able to do it inside sculpt mode while you can paint vertex color should be straight forward force it to be done in a different mode just for convenience of displaying colors on display feels odd…

Hi,
I’d like to share my relevant UX feature proposal here (old but never too late to implement). Probably the proportion of stylus users will grow as these great paint/sculpt features land in Blender.

This could be useful and enhance the UX even for brush size tweak mode, color chooser (gentle pressure means fine grained adjustement, but if you press hard, you could easily jump to like 1000px wide brush…)
I hope someone among devs finds it interesting and useful enough to implement.

2 Likes

I use vertex color often. Both when painting highpoly sculpts, lowpoly models and using the RGBA channels to assign shader specific properties in game engines.

For painting sculpts I’ve been wanting layers with blending modes for years. It would be really useful to fill a sculpt in a color then paint the AO on a second layer and then set that layers mode to overlay, multiply etc.

Having the ability to have complete control of vertex color channels and alpha is very useful, ATM I use a plugin called Vertex Color Master.

Please do not remove the ability to apply vertex color via vertex and face selection. It’s a much easier system to apply vertex color/alpha to lowpoly models that way.

16 Likes

I am a professional anime style, hand-painted texture artists. I do not know about the technical stuff that is undergoing in this project, but there are some suggestions that I want to make on the 2D texture painting mode.
Here is an example of my work, so you can validate my skills.
ArtStation - Hanser Virtual Real -3D Hand painted Anime Style-, Rizum Bawu

My Workflow:
In my current workflow, I use a combination of Substance Painter, Photoshop, and Clip Studio Paint, to achieve the things I do. I use the combination of these three software because none of them can fully full-fill my needs. And let me explain what the functions are I use in each of them.

First, in Substance Painter:

1. I use polygon fill. This is a function that allows me to fill the color base on the faces of a mesh. With polygon fill, I fill the base color of all the parts of the mesh. This is because polygon fill allows me to fill one island of UV with a single click.
  2. Also with polygon fill, I start to fill the shadow area, of the mesh.
  3. In some cases I use a blur filter, or a gradient filter to paint gradients.
  4. I export these two layers individually, one by one into a psd file. By doing this manually and not by using the Substance painter to psd tool, I can set the dilation of set number of pixels. And because the Substance Painter to psd tool does not allow to export UDIM files.

Second, in Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint:
Since I saved the files in psd, I can work on these two software. They essentially do the same, only that in Clip Studio Paint there are more anime style brushes available.

1. I paint using brush tool, sometimes by the project requirement, I will split every color in one layer and use mask to paint. In this way the client can change the color of some shadow or highlight.
  2. I use the pen tool (vector lines) to quickly generate smooth lines, or smooth shadows.
  3. While working in Photoshop or Clip Studio Paint, I can’t see the process of my work in 3D by real time, because Substance Painter does not synchronize with psd. So, I need to import back the psd to Substance Painter each time I want to see something is done.
  4. Because Substance Painter does acquire the layers from psd, I lose all the layers from the psd. So, If I need to paint something that requires me to look the 3D version in real time, I cannot interact with the layers, and I also cannot blur, smudge anything that is from the PSD.

Yes, this workflow is annoying, but this is the only way that I can separate layers in a psd file, while sometimes paint directly in the mesh.

Now if I want to do this in Blender, there are some missing functionalities.

My suggestion for Pixel Texture paint mode:

1. Layer system (which is already planned by you guys). The ability to save the layers into a psd, and real time loading of the psd. So, this will allow me to paint directly in blender, and if there are some functions or brushes that is lacking in blender, I can open this psd file in another program and edit it.
  2. Brushes asset library. The current day blender does not allow you to save brushes as preset, so every single time I open a new blender file, I lose all my brushes.
  3. Better brushes. There are some special kinds of brushes that are impossible to create in Blender. For example, a brush that has outline, a brush that emulates oil paint, a brush that has different colors at once, a brush that can use pressure to cause changes in color, value and saturation.
    未命名作品 2
  4. Selection tool, magic wand tool. Move tool, transform tool.
  5. If possible, pen tool (vector) that can also be use in 3D space.
  6. If possible, liquifying tool.
  7. A brush marketplace so people can share and download other people’s brushes, just like in Clip Studio Paint.

These are the suggestion that I can think of right now. I will come to give feedback if some of these features are being implemented.

9 Likes

There is no intention to remove the ability to apply vertex color via vertex and face selection.

First post is talking about Masks per vertex and Masks per face corner.
It is also talking about renaming masks to “Selection”.

So, these points are part of proposal.
Proposal is improving selections by giving the ability to save several selections and name them.