Outliner collection rename with F2 doesn't work but is also misleading

Have two objects, select them in Object Mode. Right-click, move to collection, new collection, OK. They should now form “Collection 2”. So far so good. Now left-click on Collection 2 in the outliner and press F2 to rename it, type the new name you want and press Enter. Note that the rename prompt appears right on top of Collection 2, however the collection doesn’t get renamed, one of the objects that you selected will be. If you click the object’s name in the outliner and then press F2, the same rename prompt is now displayed over the object. This behavior is not just actively misleading but it also goes against virtually every other software in existence.

1 Like

Thanks you so much to inform UI/UX related issue. I think, Blender interface should be consistent all across the software (Blender) and should be comparable to commercial software…
However, the prob/suggestion, looks like more related to the Outliner Area. Currently a lot of stuff related to outliner has been improved and more are improving…
Please take a look at, GSoC 2019: Outliner Improvements Ideas
Final implementation in Actual blender release will be included, i think in 2.81 however…
I am posting your at that’s Outliner Ideas, thanks for your time

The issue here is F2 is the global rename active operator and by default renames active objects not collections. I’ll look into adding a case to rename collections when the in the outliner, but for now a double-click will rename.

1 Like