Nodes Workshop - 22 - 25 June 2021

Interesting question.

• The “checkpoints / cache” design evolved to a full edit mode node. This design will get implemented as part of the hair project.

• Particles nodes are to be tackled in the future (after the hair project).

• Attribute Processor and attribute list data-flow became implemented as Fields.

7 Likes

Music to my ears ! I would love to know more about this.

Is it planned for more than just curves/hair editing ?

4 Likes

There is no complete design yet AFAIK, but yes, it would allow entering edit mode for any intermediate state of the node tree.

It’s important that the operations you do in that edit/sculpt mode are destructive, so they aren’t re-applied procedurally when the “checkpoint” node’s input changes. That’s what makes it feasible.

4 Likes

What a rollercoaster of emotions, lol. I’m not totally sure I understand the plan : the user can enter edit mode at any point in the tree by inserting an edit node. That sounds great. But then whatever changes they make while in this “edit node mode” (such as deleting or extruding a face?) will be invalidated if there are any upstream changes (with nodes) to the geometry data? so it’s the same as the previous proposal?

Would it be possible to have 2 kind of these nodes?
1 for only deform operations (basically you are allowed to use only existing vertices), so it stores only information of displacement, and you can change settings upstream
and 1 for destructive editing; this is basically the previous proposal

I remember a blog that said the 3.x version continues to use the old vfx, node vfx probability to wait until the flat 4.x

The fully “procedural in edit mode” behavior you’re thinking of is just so much more complicated than it seems at first. But maybe there are some compromises we can make to keep things procedural.

On approach I’m interested in is using widgets in the viewport to interact with a really nice library of node group assets. That might give the best of both worlds-- proceduralism and performance and also interactivity.

8 Likes

For my own i’m really excited when Blender can be able to create Sim (cloth, rigid body etc) / and combine it with different method for create amazing result like other software :wink:

The visions are a new era for them when this thing is real, imagine all the complexe simulation like flow or Flow and particle together … wow just an amazing possibilities !

1 Like

Yes this seems like typically the sort of thing that sounds simple and is all but. I’m glad you’re thinking of gizmos -well designed gizmos that go hand in hand with each geometry node would end up being basically a sort of edit mode, minus the direct selection. Anyway, thanks for the update. Maybe a compromise will end up being useful after all.

When your talking about a system node you talkin about for exemple a simple node and in this node you can add an other “Options” when you called “widget” exemple

Node test default :

• Rotation
  • position
  • (Add entry) (Select menu with entry)

and if exemple in the entry i choose Location automaticly in this same node a new entry appear like this :

Node test (Added entry) :

• Rotation
  • Position

2 Likes

ER}M921IO7XVY}O742L}T~P
expression node,Nodes I’ve seen elsewhere,You can also add entries

2 Likes

Yes i’m talking like that :slight_smile:

Really wish there were these two features, I’m not a developer, I came up with the expression node,I have already applied, it seems that you are doing it

I’ll submit my design for Particles system nodes, and can works with Physics nodes because is the combinaison of every setting like, rigid body particles with custom mesh for exemple, and we can convert it to cloth when he touch the floor for exemple… this design make somes possibilities with not much nodes.

2 nodes (called Compile system(output) and Beginning(imput)) is OBLIGATORY for make the system operationnal. and in the node begin we can put anything or between bot nodes you can put another nodes with “Functions” (Is operator function you put in the nodes you can remove it or add it).

An color code designed the catégories of the operator exemple : Particles (operator) Physics (operator). System (operator) etc… and all operator catégories have a color assigned here red for the system. etc for other catégories. is more visual when you search what operator make a thing

And if the operator have a pen of side the name he have a properties we can edit.