Ninja error when I try to build today

Hello.
I use to build the instruction that install_deps.sh reports at the end (plus Ocean modifier):
$ make -j8 BUILD_CMAKE_ARGS="-U *FFTW3* -U *OCEANSIM* -U *SNDFILE* -U *PYTHON* -U *BOOST* -U *Boost* -U *OPENCOLORIO* -U *OPENEXR* -U *OPENIMAGEIO* -U *LLVM* -U *CYCLES* -U *OPENSUBDIV* -U *OPENVDB* -U *COLLADA* -U *FFMPEG* -U *ALEMBIC* -D WITH_FFTW3=ON -D WITH_MOD_OCEANSIM=ON -D WITH_CODEC_SNDFILE=ON -D PYTHON_VERSION=3.7 -D PYTHON_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/python-3.7 -D WITH_OPENCOLORIO=ON -D OPENCOLORIO_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/ocio -D WITH_OPENIMAGEIO=ON -D OPENIMAGEIO_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/oiio -D WITH_CYCLES_OSL=ON -D WITH_LLVM=ON -D LLVM_VERSION=6.0 -D OSL_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/osl -D WITH_OPENSUBDIV=ON -D OPENSUBDIV_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/osd -D WITH_OPENVDB=ON -D WITH_OPENVDB_BLOSC=ON -D OPENVDB_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/openvdb -D BLOSC_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/blosc -D WITH_OPENCOLLADA=ON -D OPENCOLLADA_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/opencollada -D WITH_CYCLES_EMBREE=ON -D EMBREE_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/embree -D WITH_JACK=ON -D WITH_JACK_DYNLOAD=ON -D WITH_ALEMBIC=ON -D ALEMBIC_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/alembic -D WITH_CODEC_FFMPEG=ON -D FFMPEG_LIBRARIES='avformat;avcodec;avutil;avdevice;swscale;swresample;lzma;rt;theora;theoradec;theoraenc;vorbis;vorbisenc;vorbisfile;ogg;xvidcore;vpx;mp3lame;x264;openjp2'"

And I am getting this error when compiling (Kubuntu 18.04):

ninja: error: loading 'build.ninja': No such file or directory
GNUmakefile:292: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 1

I see this today was commited to master:
https://developer.blender.org/rB102035373a48fddfa54f785168898d90343cf45a

Try again with latest master, it should be fixed now.

Thank you! building now

Hi @brecht.
Now I was trying to compile in 19.04 (before it had been on 18.04), I have run install_deps.sh. I get this error when compiling:

Building Blender …
ninja -C “/media/disk1/@Blender_Git/build_linux” -j 8 install
/bin/sh: 1: ninja: not found
make: *** [GNUmakefile:297: all] Error 127

If I install ninja-build from ubuntu repository, I get this message:

Building Blender …
ninja -C “/media/disk1/@Blender_Git/build_linux” -j 8 install
ninja: Entering directory `/media/disk1/@Blender_Git/build_linux’
ninja: error: loading ‘build.ninja’: No such file or directory
make: *** [GNUmakefile:297: all] Error 1

Just to be sure, which git revision are you on? I can’t see how this would happen in the latest code.

Using a @ in the filepath is also a bit odd, but I guess would not cause problems.

It is exactly the same git folder that I use in Kubuntu 18.04. But 19.04 is Xubuntu/Lubuntu. I have copied “blender” folder to my /home/USER from the partition from where it was, and now it is building.
Thank you!

I’m getting this exact error. I too tried installing it via sudo apt install ninja build and I get the same output in the console. Is this user error on my part?

Sorry for the very late reply. I am not sure if I have understood you. My problem was referred to build blender, it was not referred to install packages from repositories. If the error you are getting is when trying to build blender, copy “blender” source code folder to your “/home/YOUR_USERNAME” folder and try to build from there.

1 Like