Math node with more than 2 inputs?

Is there a reason math node accepts only 2 inputs? In some cases it might be nice to throw a lot of value into only 1 math node to keep node tree simple and clean.

Cheers and thanks to all developers.

Most math operations (ie +, -, *, cos , sin etc) are either unary or binary in nature , hence the one or two inputs on the node.

If you want to clean up your node tree, use a group node, that’s what they are for.

1 Like

For addition or multiplication is simply not implemented.
Math nodes can take on more than 2 values, such as a soft minimum.
There is one reason I have not seen multi-input socket in other node systems before, outside of geometry. So there may be a technical or conceptual difficulty, but it’s more of a question for who will do it.

For reference, if we are talking about an operation
Sum(Inputs: FieldA, FieldB, 5, FieldC, Position, …) = NewField

1 Like

Ah OK, thanks. I did the group node, but still could be nice to have that option for add and multiply

. Not a pressing issue though, so…

Yes for add and multiply options it would be nice.

I think this is essential. And I am really missing such a feature at the moment. As I am doing a simple building stacking node tree, but all the additional nodes required to add things is making the tree look much busier than it actually is.

1 Like

Agree, if you wanted to write a formula from Google, you would be a coder …
So yes, now is the least chance of something like that.

I am sure, that the best way to make math nodes convenient is to let the users write expressions, such as “A+B”, “A/B” “Sin(A)+(B*C)”, etc, and let the math node accept any number of inputs.
This would make the workflow straightforward, greatly reduce math nodes needed for tasks with more than one math action, and reduce click counts and time wasted going through menus looking for the right math action for every node, and making connections for multiple math nodes.

With this done, I don’t see a point in keeping the classic (current) math node.
This is superior in every way.

4 Likes

Yes!! Having a simple expression node, would go a long way, where we can specify that input A = X, input B = y, etc. Sverchok does this really well.

1 Like