Level of Detail [addon]

How are storing the data on data level? Are you saving each version as a list of vertices or so? I mean if you can append the model and even the all the lod versions append with it, that’s pretty sick!

Though having it work with link method would be awesome. I tend to prefer that method since it keeps blend file size low

This is great, thank you. Now I can turn on particle visibility for Trees while I am working.

1 Like

blender instance system don’t allow that.

1 Like

Yeah i thought so as well. It would need some kind of system which makes different particles systems based on distance from camera. But that would mean each system has its own settings. You could link them all, but that is a massive undertaking with so many settings in the particle panel.

I guess animation nodes could do this one

Also the new wip powerful node system I believe

1 Like

yeah i know but this solution is just too dirty.

+i don’t get it, what’s the goal?
Performances? the chances are, that it will be worst than before, IMO.
Blender is not a game engine, there’s no need to have distance driven LOD. Cycles don’t give a f about polycount anyway, as the instance system is extremely powerful, so what’s the point ? all i see is a downgrade, as we’ll only but add more meshes and textures to load in the vram and get nothing else in return.

1 Like

Doesnt the amount of polys kill Cycles or GPU? I mean polys are data, its not all about texture sizes i believe. Atleast thats how i alsoways thought it work. But perhaps it doesnt really matter that much these days

Does this plugin work with 2.9 or at least 2.83? Doesn’t seem so in my case. I mean, it lands in addons folder but I have no Level of Details tab inside blender unfortunatelly…

See properties>mesh (green triangle icon)>level of detail

1 Like

What is your version ?
Is the addon enabled ?
Any error message on installation ?
did you search in the correct category ?

The issue is, it’s not listed in Addons later on. Fresh 2.83.

I searched in all categories by ‘lodify’ and ‘level’ (just in case). Nothing. I’m using blender for 2-3 years and got a lot of plugins already. This one is the only one I cannot get working… Weird stuff.

Just a short message to inform you that LODIFY 0.2 (on Blender 2.83.5 LTS, fresh install, no other addons installed) produces this warning in the console (when I start Blender):

Warning: class LODIFY_OT_batch_enabled contains a property which should be an annotation!
E:\blender_2.83\2.83\scripts\addons\Lodify.py:1184
assign as a type annotation: LODIFY_OT_batch_enabled.status
assign as a type annotation: LODIFY_OT_batch_enabled.opt

Warning: class LODIFY_OT_batch_status contains a property which should be an annotation!
E:\blender_2.83\2.83\scripts\addons\Lodify.py:1184
assign as a type annotation: LODIFY_OT_batch_status.api
assign as a type annotation: LODIFY_OT_batch_status.opt
assign as a type annotation: LODIFY_OT_batch_status.sti

1 Like

I don’t know if that will help you but when I installed LODIFY 0.2 on Blender 2.83.5 LTS, the addon didn’t show up in the addons list (where, usually, it is waiting to be activated).

I had to untick the Enabled Add-ons Only checkbox and reset the Addons search field (on the right) to find it, deactivated (logically it wasn’t yet).

That’s the expected behaviour indeed

Hello, im sitting on blender 2.9, and Have the same problems. I have it running on the 2.83 but it wont show up in the addons list on 2.9.

please see the two post just above, explaining the new Enabled addons-Only checkbox

Thank you for sharing this one. I am trying it on 2.83x and 2.9.

1 Like