Left click select keymap

the escape key is design to escape things, that’s why its called “escape”

1 Like

Right now is in the contextual menu

At the moment, selecting a strip in the NLA editor jumps one right into tweaking it, which makes it hard to jump between editing multiple strips without messing with their starting position. Could the click and click+drag be separated here?

Edit: Just noticed this is the same for keyframes, so I’m guessing this is still a WIP?

Hello dear devs!

I’m interested why 3d cursor have shortcut spacebar by default? The Spacebar button have many functions: play animation, show tools window, search. This switch can be done in Preferences. And now we need press two time spacebar for activate 3d cursor if function of spacebar button is showing tools window.

And guess what happening if function is search or play animation :joy: 3d cursor is not activating.

1 Like

I was looking at C4D’s R21 update and found something very useful, right clicking on the gizmo opens a menu with two setting called axis and orientation, I think they’re equal to blender’s pivot point and orientation.
Better than having another hotkey or going to the popup in the bar above.
Althought I don’t like using gizmos in blender, I would probably find myself using it in some cases with that option.

1 Like

That’s because drag selection support is removed from LCS, so it became that clunky.
https://developer.blender.org/T70645#792905

Tweak tool seems to be perfect paradigm for proper behavior, but, it seems, it just duplicates box select tool behavior without actually box selecting ability.
Currently you must hold the mouse still while clicking LMB in order to select the vertex.
It also doesnot tweak on blank space, just removes a selection.
I agree, current behavior destroys Blender usability to the core.

It is still deadly workflow issue, and one of the reasons our company declined Blender 2.8X for production cycle. It is just unacceptable to lose almost half of speed on misclicks and selection declines during complex organic modeling and retopology.
When this is fixed, we will be able to perform organic modeling and retopology in 2.8X, which almost entirely consists of selecting and tweaking vertices.

But it works for not complex scenes. That means - for 95% of the modeling work.
Combining a complex scene is just a final stage of a production cycle, not the only.

That is not the problem, the problem is that Left clikc uses “click” event instead of “press” event. With change that the bahviour is practically the same.

That was reported before and devs closed the bug report.

1 Like

I know, it was reported before, but to a simple click, not a shift+click or ctrl+click.
The problem is still present in 2.82. The report was closed for no reason.

I know, my bug report was closed because it is “by design”

1 Like

I don’t understand some of the core developers decisions. They sometimes close bug reports / issue-tickets while those are valid… :slightly_frowning_face:

There are too many reports, it is easy to miss something important.

When we talk about UX, normally is “by design”

https://developer.blender.org/T68970

1 Like

Then it’s weird. This is how Blender has been used all this time.
For reliability and speed.

Well, it seems, we found a solution for an LCS problem!
It was a tough quest, by the way.
https://developer.blender.org/T70645#846661

That is the solutions that I told you, no?

Hard to say, there are multiple options with same settings, that looks similar.
Some of them should be changed, some of them should stay untouched.
You just cant to change every click to press everywhere, that will not work.
That’s why I made a full post with a solution and warnings.

I am wondered how did you got such deep sense of feeling things?

I mean, people that make simple work don’t have a chance to obtain it.
Only people that perform extremely hard and massive work have such deep workflow sense, because speed and consistency is a matter of survive for them, and they don’t have a spare time for inconvenient controls.

We are using Blender for extreme complex projects, that any other software just can’t handle.
Also as you may know, I am a diamond donator, that spends all profits from stocks to support opensource, so, basically, I do a lot of free modeling, profits from which I will never see, and I need to make such modeling just immediate to survive in that conditions.

Things like LCS issue blocked my ability to make such models to support BF, so ,basically, devs blocked my ability to make a models for donations to them for a year, just slightly changing the default settings.
I am happy that solution is found, it was a year of sleepless nights.
Things like extreme hard projects alongside with lots of free complex organic modeling sharpen my workflow requirements.

Can you write me pm about you? I want to know what sharpen yours so much as well.

We made proper description of a LCS problem

5 Likes

This issue of selection responsiveness has come up recently over at Polycount as well:

I agree that it is a big problem, which I noticed immediately upon switching over to 2.8. I can understand why it may not be considered a bug, but it is still a pretty huge design issue with the default keymap that I think should be addressed. The responsiveness of Blender’s modeling tools has been one of its greatest strengths. For such a huge regression in this area to be considered the intended behavior of its default configuration is a mistake.

@brecht @pablovazquez Can we get a response to the solutions presented by @1D_Inc? If testing proves that there is little conflicting behavior from these changes, they should be adopted as soon as possible.

1 Like

We could add toggle selection on press in the Tweak tool keymap. I don’t see why not.

Some of the other things suggested won’t work well, such as ‘tweak with shift’, because it will then first select if there is something next to the cursor while dragging. And disabling Deselect on Nothing obviously should not be done in the default keymap.