Lack of file overwrite prompt can lead to data loss

Today I lost whole project because there is no any warning.

I don’t understand behind this design !!!
Why there is no any warning confirmation.

3 Likes

At this point, i think someone should poke Ton about this issue

2 Likes

if only we already had this: :gear: D16687 UI: File Save Incremental Operator

1 Like

it may not be a good solution, it also happen with all the exporting file
We seriously need a warning overwrite.

3 Likes

Yep. Fun thing about alembic for example, even if you have the same file open in other apps at the same time, if you overwrite it be accident, you’re screwed. Been there a couple times.

2 Likes

While I love this in it’s own right, very very much, it’s not a solution to the overwrite prompt. Data loss also happens on exporting into other formats like OBJ or FBX, which is a very common thing to do when you work in games or have to transfer data to another program.
Or if you simply misclick in the file save dialog or hit enter accidentally. There are still many reasons to have a prompt because you can’t circumvent the save as dialog entirely with a “save incremental” feature alone.
There’s certainly overlaps in the venn diagram but we really need a data loss protection. Badly!

1 Like

If you think this is the solution which addresses the issue, then you either did not read or did not understand the thread.

As for the point of thread, as I stated above, no one important enough has lost their data yet, so this will continue to be ignored until someone does.

We need to wait until some large enough studio or big enough influencer gets some important file(s) wrecked and money are lost in the process. Then, hopefully, enough waves will be made. I mean, why would you install a smoke detector in your house before you had a fire at least once, right?

1 Like

@kio @SpookyDoom @LudvikKoutny
LOL guys, of course that is not the solution for the standard dialog.
That will be just one step in the right direction to eradicate all the nonsense surrounding file saving in blender.
I probably should’ve worded that differently.

I dont know why useful patches like that take ages to land.
Oh, wait, there’s no user interface team, maybe that’s why.

Having more warnings, but also having the ability to configure them to your liking, is part of
Improved Operator Confirmations and Warnings, Restrictions, & Centralized Administration. Its in discussion.

5 Likes

Thank you for letting us know :grinning:

Yea, better designed apps usually have a checkbox on a message/confirmation dialog to never show that again. Which can be reverted back in settings.

That would also be my preferred way. That way if the user realizes they really want to remove a safety net they can do so. Like “don’t show in the future and always default to: [clicked option]”.

The settings page could have an overview collection of the currently overriden prompts. Or the option to (see all available prompts) to set their settings in onve central place with a (see only changed prompots) to only see the ones the user has overridden. In case a certain one needs to be changed.

One program I used always asked but I remember being annoyed that there was no easy way to change individual prompts once they were decided on but only an option to reset them all and then go through every single one. Or they just hid it extremely well. And always asking ona per session basis is also annoying.

The modal prompt is the least we can expect. Speculating on users behaviour is not an argument against it. You can’t ditch handrails on stairs only because most people ignore them. Any other improvements can be made after we have this critical part.